Injured betta! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordheavyc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The other day while doing my water tests I noticed my bettas fins looked ripped and torn. I've had him since February with the same tank mates the whole time. Haven't added anything to the tank since then either. It doesn't seem to me he's In distress. He's making bubble nests, eating and swimming all like normal. Is there something I can do to help his fins heal or is this permanent? He's a beautiful fish and hate to see him hurt like this. Thank you

The best medicine for healing fin damage is very clean tank water. Fish with big fins are always targets for faster swimming more agile fish. Many years ago I placed a beautiful betta in an established non aggressive rainbow fish tank. The next day I found the betta lying virtually finless at the bottom of the tank. I learned my lesson. You didn't list what other fish you keep. Unless your water has gone bad, your bettas fin damage likely came from tankmates. As long as you can keep the betta eating and identify the fin nipping perpetrator
No worries. Good luck.

Sorry. The other tank mates are 5 neons and 3 kuhli loaches. I've never seen either of them bother him. Also the betta was in the tank before the others.

Those tankmates are very easy going. Then the problem is likely the water quality, the easiest thing to fix. 25% water change once a week, making sure to gravel vac. Probably won't need meds, but if you think the fins need a little help healing, might use Melafix.

Back
Top Bottom