Inspiration for Planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a piece of driftwood. It's not that big because my tank isn't too big but do u know what I should do before adding it to the aquarium? I know how they make the water brown.

The driftwood can be soaked in a bucket or boiled in order to remove the tannis prior to placing it in your aquarium.

Wy Renegade said:
The driftwood can be soaked in a bucket or boiled in order to remove the tannis prior to placing it in your aquarium.

I have boiled it and now it's soaking. I'm gonna leave it till the water is clear

Is the tank a fairly new setup? If so you probably have diatoms, brown algae. It's common in new tanks and ugly as it is it will go away on it's own. It's due to silicates in the water. Since your tank is planted you could get some nerite snails. You don't have to worry about them breeding as they can't in freshwater. They also eat the biggest variety of algae of all the algae eaters and love diatoms. You can also use Oto Cats and Bristlenose Pleco's.

Rivercats said:
Is the tank a fairly new setup? If so you probably have diatoms, brown algae. It's common in new tanks and ugly as it is it will go away on it's own. It's due to silicates in the water. Since your tank is planted you could get some nerite snails. You don't have to worry about them breeding as they can't in freshwater. They also eat the biggest variety of algae of all the algae eaters and love diatoms. You can also use Oto Cats and Bristlenose Pleco's.

I have a bristlenose pleco. It has cleaned up alot! :) And the tanks is new. It cycled in 3 weeks and its about 4-5 weeks old. How long will the diatoms take to go away? The plant also seems to have slowed down in growth since I move it from the pot to the gravel.

I have a bristlenose pleco. It has cleaned up alot! :) And the tanks is new. It cycled in 3 weeks and its about 4-5 weeks old. How long will the diatoms take to go away? The plant also seems to have slowed down in growth since I move it from the pot to the gravel.

It can take from a few weeks to a few months. As for the plants they are going need some time to acclimate.

Rivercats said:
It can take from a few weeks to a few months. As for the plants they are going need some time to acclimate.

Thankyou also does anyone know what r some good beginner plants? I have only just started the whole fish keeping adventure and I would like some plants that look nice but are easy to keep?

What kind of lighting do you have? Some good low light plants that I have grown are anubias (there are so many different kinds you can get), java fern (regular and Wendilov), java moss, ambulia, dwarf sag, crypts, swords, narrowleaf temple plant, micro sword. None of these are hard to keep plants but using a good liquid fertilizer weekly and root tabs, especially with crypts and swords, will really help keep your plants in good condition. Also using a liquid carbon like Excel or API CO2 booster will give you even better plant growth. Depending on your light there are alot of other plants that are easy that you could grow.

Rivercats said:
What kind of lighting do you have? Some good low light plants that I have grown are anubias (there are so many different kinds you can get), java fern (regular and Wendilov), java moss, ambulia, dwarf sag, crypts, swords, narrowleaf temple plant, micro sword. None of these are hard to keep plants but using a good liquid fertilizer weekly and root tabs, especially with crypts and swords, will really help keep your plants in good condition. Also using a liquid carbon like Excel or API CO2 booster will give you even better plant growth. Depending on your light there are alot of other plants that are easy that you could grow.

I don't know what kind of lighting it is..it's inbuilt in the hood of the aquarium. Ill check

Rivercats said:

The tank is an Aquaone 380

Since it is the tanks stock lighting you need to limit yourself to low light plants. Anubias, java ferns, and crypts are you best choices.

Rivercats said:
Since it is the tanks stock lighting you need to limit yourself to low light plants. Anubias, java ferns, and crypts are you best choices.

image-1370442248.jpg

You know it all depends on the the size of the tank, but this is a 120 I did a few years back. Keep the hardscape simple, and don't be afraid to put a few large pieces in front and small in back. It adds depth and contrast. Allow yourself some time, don't be in to big of a hurry to add water...

Attachments

• image-2934199810.jpg
    image-2934199810.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom