Inspiration for Planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anne_fong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to make my tank look natural so I'm thinking of doing a planted tank with maybe a wood or rock formation....any ideas for this? :)

<---- NOT an expert. I have mopani wood and its absolutely beautiful and after the advice I got on this forum I have some anubis and java fern tied to it. The LFS near me has loose pieces of mopani he sells by the pound and the different shapes, textures, etc. really attracted me to it. I had to soak it in hot water, changing every so often, for about a week until the water ran clear before I put it in my tank.

Check out the pic's of my tank, while not done growing in I was shooting for that natural look. There is a rock formation in front of the DW to the left where the Anubia and Java fern wendilov is growing. It actually forms a cave below. You might also want to look at others tanks on the members freshwater tanks forum.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/220g-planted-newly-rescaped-231568.html

Kellie said:
<---- NOT an expert. I have mopani wood and its absolutely beautiful and after the advice I got on this forum I have some anubis and java fern tied to it. The LFS near me has loose pieces of mopani he sells by the pound and the different shapes, textures, etc. really attracted me to it. I had to soak it in hot water, changing every so often, for about a week until the water ran clear before I put it in my tank.

My lfs also has pieces of wood like that....I think it's driftwood. I might get some of that and form something :)

Rivercats said:
Check out the pic's of my tank, while not done growing in I was shooting for that natural look. There is a rock formation in front of the DW to the left where the Anubia and Java fern wendilov is growing. It actually forms a cave below. You might also want to look at others tanks on the members freshwater tanks forum.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/220g-planted-newly-rescaped-231568.html

Wow! I loved ur tank. I really like how the wood is in the middle...I would like to do that to mine :)

Wow! I loved ur tank. I really like how the wood is in the middle...I would like to do that to mine :)

The first thing I got after the tank was the DW. I knew it was going to be a big part of the look I wanted so I found it first. Plus my DW is on slate bases so it had to be put down on the glass bottom before adding substrate. The couple smaller pieces were added as I scaped along with the plants. Try to plan it out in your head or on paper after you get your driftwood and it will make scaping so much easier. The rocks I used were ones found at a river.

Rivercats said:
The first thing I got after the tank was the DW. I knew it was going to be a big part of the look I wanted so I found it first. Plus my DW is on slate bases so it had to be put down on the glass bottom before adding substrate. The couple smaller pieces were added as I scaped along with the plants. Try to plan it out in your head or on paper after you get your driftwood and it will make scaping so much easier. The rocks I used were ones found at a river.

What did u have to do to the rocks before putting them in the tank?

Since mine came from a local river and I didn't want any pests on them I first soaked them overnight in a light bleach/water solution then scrubbed them off good the next day under hot water (which also rinse them well after the bleach soak) and let them dry.

Rivercats said:
Since mine came from a local river and I didn't want any pests on them I first soaked them overnight in a light bleach/water solution then scrubbed them off good the next day under hot water (which also rinse them well after the bleach soak) and let them dry.

Thank you :)

Excellent example! ;)

Check out the tank in my sig - I have a planted tank, too. Low-maintenance, no CO2, small fish.

callisto9 said:
Excellent example! ;)

Check out the tank in my sig - I have a planted tank, too. Low-maintenance, no CO2, small fish.

How do I look at your sig? ☺

Browse You Tube for planted tanks as well. Tons of ideas.

anne_fong said:
How do I look at your sig? ☺

Are you using the app? I don't believe signatures show on the app. You may be able to turn them on but I wouldn't know.

Edit: I just checked the settings and found you can turn signatures on or off. Mine has always been on and I still can't see them either. lol

CorallineAlgae said:
Are you using the app? I don't believe signatures show on the app. You may be able to turn them on but I wouldn't know.

Edit: I just checked the settings and found you can turn signatures on or off. Mine has always been on and I still can't see them either. lol

Yeah I'm using the app :) I can see the written sig but not the picture

anne_fong said:
Yeah I'm using the app :) I can see the written sig but not the picture

You're right. Same here. Any pictures or links don't show up with the signatures. I guess it's only visible through a browser.

Still, you could always click on the persons avatar and see their tank pictures from their profile page. :)

Back
Top Bottom