Interested In Your Opinion... Minor Tank Remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm interested in opinions. There is a portion of my tank that looks, well... Blah compared to the rest. The back right corner has these wiry, small leaf stem plants that have just never looked right. I'm thinking of pulling them all out along with the sword plant and a couple of pieces of petrified wood and "rebooting" that corner with an upright piece of driftwood and some different plants. Any ideas for something that you'd think would look good in that corner? I'm providing pics of that part of the tank and the DW I bought today. It's currently soaking in a 10 gallon.

Attachments

• image-1302488584.jpg
    image-1302488584.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2118387339.jpg
    image-2118387339.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 100
  • image-727720545.jpg
    image-727720545.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3651946351.jpg
    image-3651946351.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 93
  • image-1638682734.jpg
    image-1638682734.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2790690765.jpg
    image-2790690765.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3768452047.jpg
    image-3768452047.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 88
I would totally add that gorgeous piece of driftwood!!!!! I mean...... no that piece of driftwood is hideous and..... will probaly... poison your fish! Yea! It could kill them all! You had better throw it away! BTW completely unrelated, but where do you live and when are trash pickup days?

I would totally add that gorgeous piece of driftwood!!!!! I mean...... no that piece of driftwood is hideous and..... will probaly... poison your fish! Yea! It could kill them all! You had better throw it away! BTW completely unrelated, but where do you live and when are trash pickup days?

Oh, yeah. It's definitely going in... Just soaking to see if it will sink and trying to get as much if the tannins out as I can.

Oh, yeah. It's definitely going in... Just soaking to see if it will sink and trying to get as much if the tannins out as I can.

Dang it! lol Where do yall find this driftwood? All my pieces are so basic...

That is a totally gorgeous piece of wood! Definitely agree you should add it. Honestly, I would move that thin plant in the corner more to the mid-front of the tank, and depending on your light, ferts and co2, put something with color back there. Maybe a red plant. On another note, what is the plant in the back mid of the tank ( tallest one under the spraybar). Is that hygro corymbosa?

On another note, what is the plant in the back mid of the tank ( tallest one under the spraybar). Is that hygro corymbosa?

The tall plant is called temple. It looks a lot like a hygro that is growing up and just beginning to show itself from between the white rocks.

I love the DW. Some advice on the scaping though: avoid putting anything eye catching, such as hardscape or red plants, directly in the middle of the tank. It can end up looking too symmetrical.

The tall plant is called temple. It looks a lot like a hygro that is growing up and just beginning to show itself from between the white rocks.

Okay, before I feel like too muck of an idiot, I just looked up temple and learned that it is a different name for hygrophilia corymbosa.

You have a lot of similar shaped leaves on the right side of the tank so how about going with something like Cabomba Furcata, Ludwigia sp Cuba, Limnophila hippuroides, or Myriophyllum tuberculatum.

You have a lot of similar shaped leaves on the right side of the tank so how about going with something like Cabomba Furcata, Ludwigia sp Cuba, Limnophila hippuroides, or Myriophyllum tuberculatum.

What do you think of limno aromatica? I asked the LFS if they could get it.

It can do some shedding when first added into a new tank with different water parameters but just leave it alone to acclimate and it will begin to grow. Then down the road you can trim the good growth off, pull up the bottoms if needed, and replant the full tops. IMO they are well worth the little extra work.

That aromatica is beautiful. It would nice in your tank.
I figured it was temple, but wanted to be sure. I have some in my tank, but much smaller. I am excited to see how much they will grow, yours looks great!

Dang it! lol Where do yall find this driftwood? All my pieces are so basic...

I went out and found some nice basic looking pieces down at my river. The trick to it is to combine multiple basic pieces and make them look like one exotic piece with some creative plant placement.

+1 to all of these suggestions

What do you think of limno aromatica? I asked the LFS if they could get it.

If your LFS can get it then that would be great. Apparently it is an absolutely awful plant to ship and usually dies. I had 4 stems shipped to me and all of them melted away to nothing except for 1 which is just barely holding on. From what I've heard this isn't an uncommon occurrence.

Well, the driftwood is in and I couldn't be happier. The petrified wood in front is doing a great job holding it down and blending in. Now to get some plants around if!

Attachments

• image-3504480827.jpg
    image-3504480827.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-585650530.jpg
    image-585650530.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image-3443565309.jpg
    image-3443565309.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image-564763503.jpg
    image-564763503.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 61
Very excited. Got what I wanted today and wasn't even looking for it! Was at a nice LFS today that I usually only visit for SW needs. Today, though, I noticed some beautiful plants just perfect for this corner of my tank. They had a ton of Christmas moss and some pretty red rotala. Both are in the tank, but not looking great yet. Hope they will perk up in a day or 2! Moss is tied to the DW. Attempting to use the Christmas moss to carpet, too. We shall see!!

Back
Top Bottom