Introducing Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexandraDanielle21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. I've just finished cycling my 40 gallon freshwater tank and I'm looking into adding some plants. My current stock is a pair of mickey mouse platys, a pair of balloon-belly mollies and one male guppy(female passed away). They are all under 1" in length. Here are my tank levels: (Ammonia tested using an API liquid test kit and all other levels tested with API test strips. All tests are new.)
Ammonia-0
GH- 160
KH- 100
PH- 7.5
NO2- 0
NO3-10
I'm wondering if my levels are good enough to add plants, and if its a good idea. I'm using an Aqueon 30 filter (for aquariums 30-45 gallons) and I am currently waiting for a submersible heater to come in. I'm using gravel for the floor of the aquarium(Can I plant with gravel?) and the only other things in the tank are a few small decorations. Any advice is really appreciated. I'm new at this and this site is great for honest answers and helpful advice. Thanks :)

You can add plants any time as they use both ammonia and nitrates. Your levels look good but I suggest getting/using all liquid test kits as those test strips aren't always the most reliable. But what is you lighting and bulbs? And how deep is the tank? This will determine the type of plants that you can grown.

You can add plants any time as they use both ammonia and nitrates. Your levels look good but I suggest getting/using all liquid test kits as those test strips aren't always the most reliable. But what is you lighting and bulbs? And how deep is the tank? This will determine the type of plants that you can grown.

I agree that the liquid tests are more effective. :) I'm using a 14W strip light above the aquarium and the tank is 14 1/4" deep. I was hoping to get long grassy, like plants. Will any of those types work?

I'm not the best with light but that seems like pretty low light for that tank and honestly don't think much but Crypts, Anubia, and Java Ferns would work. Jungle Val can handle low light but I'm not sure about that low. Your pretty limited IMO.

I'm not the best with light but that seems like pretty low light for that tank and honestly don't think much but Crypts, Anubia, and Java Ferns would work. Jungle Val can handle low light but I'm not sure about that low. Your pretty limited IMO.

Thanks. I am looking into getting a stronger light, but I'm finding it hard to find the right size.

What length are you looking for? Im no expert ob lighting, but there are many LED options in multiple lengths that have higher Par. I personally use a finnex ray II but I have also heard good things about buildmyleds.com (I think that's correct)

What length are you looking for? Im no expert ob lighting, but there are many LED options in multiple lengths that have higher Par. I personally use a finnex ray II but I have also heard good things about buildmyleds.com (I think that's correct)

My tank is three feet. I'm trying to acquire a hood as well, just because it would look better than the light I have by itself.

You could look into getting a T5HO 2 bulb fixture which would allow you to have alot of different plant options. I like the AquaticLife fixtures and have had very good luck with them.

EDIT: I use T5HO's on all my tanks and have very good results with them. I also use the Geisemann 6000K bulbs which gives plants the best color. They are more expience than other T5HO bulbs but they are definitely worth the extra money IMO.

Back
Top Bottom