Invaded by Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheshireccat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to a planted tank and on all my plants seems to be growing this algae. Before you flame this post, I should say that I have researched all the different types of algae that share this description, but I can never find any good pictures of them as I am a very visual person. I am adding links to two pictures of my algae, one is very clear with fish in the foreground, the other blurry, digital cameras with autofocus, what can you do...
Anyway, I am looking to get rid of this algae as it is spreading, and I can't seem to get rid of it. I have lowered the light from 11 hours a day to 8.5 hours a day and I have fed the fish less, I change 30-40% of the water weekly, but 25% before the algae. The fish get enough food that they eat it all in 2 minutes or so.

HELP ME GET RID OF THIS STRINGY MENACE!!

I have read of descriptions of many different kinds of algae that resemble this, thread, hair, beard, a bunch of latin names of the species, can someone identify this and offer solutions, preferably fish that will eat it, I don't want to use any chemicals. But I only have 12 fish, the largest ones and 4 zebra fish about 1 1/8 inches long, others are cardinal tetras and guppys with two cleaner fish(no idea what species, salesman only spoke swedish and I don't, but they are spotted and pretty) Ask any questions or email me through here, and I will do my best. I also have two red shrimp that are 1 inch each, and any algae eating shrimp ideas will be considered first, if it doesn't work, I get a baby sized shrimp cocktail...

Just copy and paste the links, sorry for not putting pic or links on here, in a hurry...

Picture 1 of my algae: http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/cheshireccat/DSC02787.jpg

Picture 2 of my algae:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/cheshireccat/DSC02792.jpg

Attachments

• dsc02787a_604.jpg
    dsc02787a_604.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 30
Looks like hair/beard algae to me. Not many fish eat this type if I remember right. I would avoid chemicals. The problem is likely caused by something else. Excess of trace nutrients, direct sunlight, etc. Try to find the source of the problem. To kill it directly, your best options is what is known as a black out. Cover the entire tank such that no light gets in for several days (and turn off the tank lights). This will weaken your plants too but they should bounce back.

Questions to answer:
Do you dose nutrients? If yes, what and how much/often?

Do you supplement CO2?

Is the tank near a window or source of direct sunlight?

light and nutrients

I don't put anything in the tank except food flakes, it is 8 feet away from a window, it's bright in here, but no direct sunlight. I have some delicate plants and would not like to weaken them. Any other options?

Well, I only know what I have read. Chemicals would weaken your plant just as much as light starvation IMO and I hate the idea of adding unnecessary chemicals. Someone who has actually attempted a blackout might be able to give you more information.\

Another question, how big is the tank and how powerfull is your tank light?

EDIT: I found this article, might help some.

That looks like hair algae to me. What i have found out is that when i does CSM+B too much I start getting it on my filter difusser. Since you dont' dose anything I have no idea. If you do however have iron in your tap water, and your nitrates or other macros are bottoming out, this could be part of the problem.

The trick to keep algae away is to allow the plants EVERYTHING they need and they will out compete the algae for nutrients. With out everything the plants need, their growth will be stunted and the algae takes over.

Light starvation can even hurt the situation in some cases, because the plants growth slows, and the algae, which may not need as much light starts to take over.

If I were you, I would start doesing some of the important nutrients utilizing seachems flourish.

As for fish that will eat this type of algae. Mollies... I think it depends on the individual fish as some will eat it like crazy and others won't touch it at least in my experience, but I do know when i over dose my iron because my molly sits up by the filter munching away.

That is hair algae. How much light do you have on your tank? You probaly need to add some N to get rid of it. It should clean off fairly easily. Go in with a toothbrush to get rid of it. What are you N, Phophate, K and Ph levels? Do you fertilize at all?

We will not flame you we wont to help. Welcome to AA!!!

Just one more question, how heavily is it planted? I agree with the above, you might to dose some N. And if your tap is high in iron, you may need a few more plants to absorb the extra iron if there's too much iron in the water. But I'm leaning more towards needing more N.

Welcome to AA...

FYI, high iron doesn't cause hair algae. I know you see that all the time, but I know some bigger plant geeks than myself who've dosed to well over 1ppm of iron (we only need about .03ppm) and they had no algae growth, especially not hair algae.

We do need to know all about the tank though.
Size
lighting type and wattage
CO2 injection? if so to what level ppm
Nitrate levels
Phosphate levels

and how you dose your ferts, especially potassium and traces.

Well, I had completely forgotten about this issue since I got rid of my algae in a matter of 3 days. SAE's worked for me.... ate it up like spaghetti. it was soo romantic, like the lady and the tramp, only with slimy scum sucking bottom feeders.... not very heavily planted, I believe that there should be a symbiosis, not to see how many plants I can fit in there and still have light shine through...

Wow, this was some good reading. Lots of good ideas.... I hope this doesn't become a problem with my tank. The fish appeared to be the solution.... Did you bring your photo period back up to its time that it was before or did you keep it at 8 hrs? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom