iron.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends where you live. For example, it'd be weird if you have no iron in Virginia because of all the red clay (we had so much iron in our well water that it would actually precipitate out when we boiled the water or took a hot bath!). You can get an idea of the presence of iron by looking at the color of your soil. If it's bright orange or red, you'll have tons of iron.

I'd think a lack of phosphates is to be expected unless you live very close to active, large-scale farms, a peat bog (or the equivalent), or a very large compost heap. Possibly a large forest too, now that I think about it (decaying plant material produces phosphates).

Another thing to consider is that most wells have to have the water tested for harmful things like phosphates. We had a bunch of 6' x 8' x 10' holes in my now-front yard for a year in order to test the water (among other things) before they could dig our well.

It depends on the size of the farm, how they grow, how much they grow, what type of fertilizers they use, how much they use, how well your soil drains, and things like that. Right now, it's pretty unlikely that they're putting down fertilizer...later in the spring and summer, you might see phosphates but you also might not. It's hard to say either way. Phosphates surely aren't a bad thing to NOT have in your water though :) I would test every once in a while though.

its just frustrating me that none of my levels seem to be right and being an amature isnt helping me straighten out my levels.

i dont think that i understand how to accurately monitor and maintane my levels for a planted tank. i think i need some serious help.

I wish I could help there...but alas. Hopefully the experts on planted tanks will chime in!

Are you testing for chelated iron? There may be Fe in the the water that is not chelated.

Also, P = 0 for your tap water is a good thing. You can dose it with a fert to get your level to around 1ppm in your tank if your test says there is none in your tank.

40ppm N for your tap water is high, but should be ok for your fish. For your planted tank, what it means is there is probably no need to dose N in your tank.

Fe is not harmful at appropriate levels in your tank. Your well water could have iron. If you can drink it, it usually is fairly safe for fish.

i have no iron or chelated iron. should i dose with that too?

Fe is an important trace element - if you have an Fe test kit and it says 0, you may want to consider dosing it.

Back
Top Bottom