is 2wpg enough for red plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NKfA6.jpg

Light type, CO2, ferts, substrate, tank size and setup, diffusion method, etc. Red plants are a fickle topic. There are dark colored plants (sometimes red) for most setups, but without knowing what you've got, we can't make any meaningful suggestions.

Lol got it!

2wpg of t5o 6500k. I just got a co2 setup in the mail. I'm hoping to get it filled up and setup today. Substrate is normal gravel. I'm still not that savvy on ferts so I'm open to suggestions but I have excel, flourish, and a bunch of root tabs...i just haven't got on a god rhythm yet cause I don't really know what I'm doing. It's a 55g community tank.

I don't know what you mean by diffusion. Anything else?

Diffusion would be your method of introducing CO2, if you had that. As far as lighting goes, what kind of light do you have? T5HO, PC, T8, etc?

aqua_chem said:
Diffusion would be your method of introducing CO2, if you had that. As far as lighting goes, what kind of light do you have? T5HO, PC, T8, etc?

Yeah sorry that was supposed to ssy 2wpg of t5ho

So really, assuming you have a good fertilization method, you've got a lot of options as far as red plants go. Two of the easier ones I can think of are Alternanthera Reineckii and Limnophila aromatica(picture from my tank). If you're feeling adventurous, there are a number of different Ludwigia species that will turn a nice shade of red under good light. Repens, grandulosa, and palustrius are probably going to be the most common you'll see at LFS (if they have a good stock).

aqua_chem said:
So really, assuming you have a good fertilization method, you've got a lot of options as far as red plants go. Two of the easier ones I can think of are Alternanthera Reineckii and Limnophila aromatica(picture from my tank). If you're feeling adventurous, there are a number of different Ludwigia species that will turn a nice shade of red under good light. Repens, grandulosa, and palustrius are probably going to be the most common you'll see at LFS (if they have a good stock).

Thank you so much! what do you recommend for ferts? Im still perplexed by ferts

aqua_chem said:

Oh and is this a good deal?
Ok Sean you want Red only sp. I can do 15-20 stems Ludwigia sp. red. few stems of Limo. Aromatica and 2-3 stems of Ludwigia glandulosa*and some random sp. for 50$ shipped to your door.**For Fert I mix my own...Saves lots of $.*

I would say it's a bit steep compared to what I like to pay. Ludwigia sp. red used to be a hot new plant, but it's rapidly becoming more common and prices are going down. I wouldn't pay more than $1-1.50 a stem for it, although you still see people trying to sell it for $2-5 a stem. If your budget conscious, you might need to wait for a while to see decent prices, but if you're really wanting to get rolling, that an ok price for an on-demand package. If you wait for people to sell triming packages (Plantedtank.net is great for that), then you can get a larger variety of plants (including red and greens) for much less. The flip side of that is you may only get 3-6 stems per plant, and you'll need to grow them out youtself (takes time) whereas with 15-20 stems of Ludwigia sp. Red, you'll already have a decent bush. I personally prefer to wait for good deals on plants I want, but I'm a patient person when it comes to this hobby.

As far as ferts go, I would look up the Estimative Index method of fertilization (google will give you tons of results). You can buy ferts your self for ~$20 that will last you a long time.

Oh and yea, it's Ludwigia Glandulosa, not grandulosa. Some wires got crossed in my brain on that one.

aqua_chem said:
I would say it's a bit steep compared to what I like to pay. Ludwigia sp. red used to be a hot new plant, but it's rapidly becoming more common and prices are going down. I wouldn't pay more than $1-1.50 a stem for it, although you still see people trying to sell it for $2-5 a stem. If your budget conscious, you might need to wait for a while to see decent prices, but if you're really wanting to get rolling, that an ok price for an on-demand package. If you wait for people to sell triming packages (Plantedtank.net is great for that), then you can get a larger variety of plants (including red and greens) for much less. The flip side of that is you may only get 3-6 stems per plant, and you'll need to grow them out youtself (takes time) whereas with 15-20 stems of Ludwigia sp. Red, you'll already have a decent bush. I personally prefer to wait for good deals on plants I want, but I'm a patient person when it comes to this hobby.

As far as ferts go, I would look up the Estimative Index method of fertilization (google will give you tons of results). You can buy ferts your self for ~$20 that will last you a long time.

Oh and yea, it's Ludwigia Glandulosa, not grandulosa. Some wires got crossed in my brain on that one.

I got this instead for 22 shipped...what do you think? seems like its a better deal :)

Im going to have to look into the ferts more for sure

Back
Top Bottom