Is anyone else keeping track? -- I have spent over $2k !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, at about 8 weeks in now, tallying up the receipts, I figure I have spent just around $2k on everything. The good news is, I was expecting to spend this much or more and I am very happy with the end result. I also think I have everything I need, except continually more plants, fish, shrimp, snails, etc.... But even there, I think I need to start another tank to house my overflow stock.

Anyways, looking at a hi-tech reef, I am figuring I will drop around $5k, so this is really pretty good return on investment and arguably just as fun to watch.

I can't figure out how to post this up in a readable format inline, so here is a link:

http://www.publiclogic.com/fish/Fish_Expenses.html

And if you want to see it in Excel: http://www.publiclogic.com/fish/Fish_Expenses.xls

I highlighted the things that I shouldn't have bought in red, and totaled them out. Again, I think ~12% margin of error is not bad all things considered.

Anyone else keeping track?

oh wow! I need to do that! I can just look at all my deposit slips because my pets are the only thing I spend money on when I get a pay-check! (at 14..their isnt much else hehe :D )

You did it quicker than I did, but I have hit into that ballpark as well. :) It's really the only money I spend on myself.

ok...I just did everything from memmory (from the best I could remember)...and so far I have spent $386.18 on my new SW fowlr..... (tank included)...ouch......

That's pretty cheap. I am guessing you picked everything up used... ?

I really decided I would go all out, or junk the tank, thus the expense. Also for a Reef tank, I plan on going all out. MH alone will probably be $800+... Let alone the tank, stand and canopy, plumbing, CO2, calcium reactor, sump/fuge, skimmers, etc.

One expense I did not have in the FW setup was the tank and stand, which probably saved me $500 or more.

dapellegrini said:
That's pretty cheap. I am guessing you picked everything up used... ?

I really decided I would go all out, or junk the tank, thus the expense. Also for a Reef tank, I plan on going all out. MH alone will probably be $800+... Let alone the tank, stand and canopy, plumbing, CO2, calcium reactor, sump/fuge, skimmers, etc.

One expense I did not have in the FW setup was the tank and stand, which probably saved me $500 or more.
no but I havnt gotten much,...(even though its cycled) I just have listed.....
tank
salt
hydromiter
LR (22 pounds so far...need more though)
agralive (got $10 off AND 25% dicount..so that helped a lot)
dechlorinizer
new light
fish (only have 2)
so ya...I have been very good with how I have used my money... :D

damm you have it all detailed. Thats alot of money, but it doesnt seem that way unless you itemize everything at least thats how i feel. I just try not to think about it.

lol i have 1600 big als points. u get 1 point for every dollar u spend before taxes lol. and thats only the one store. not including any other store i have bought something from. i have 350 online big als points aswell. i am afraid to tally it up lol.

It is a lot of money, but in perspective, I don't think it is that bad at all. If it's what you enjoy doing (aka a hobby) then $2k is no big deal... I can spend more than that on computer hardware in one purchase! The only things I don't have complete tabs on here are my local expenses (impulse buys at LFS, etc), but I think I was guessing safely around $300.

Now I will be surprised if I can spend another $2k over the next few years on the same tank...

I am planning an eventual rescape and replacement of substrate which will probably run me over $200, but even with an order of plants...

I suspect that we all spend A LOT more than we would like to believe on our tanks. LOL

I don't keep track, becasue I really don't want to know. I've gotten some really good deals(46g bowfront w/stand for $100), but I have also made some mistakes (upgraded my lighting twice, upgraded tank size, MTS, switch from DIY CO2 to pressurized, etc.) and those things costed me more money than if I had done it right from the start...

i got my tank (48x24x24), cabinet (pine - unstained) 2x 1500L canister filters, fry cage, gravel, heater, ornaments and rocks, some plants and chemicals for $400 AUD.

Not a bad price at all.

After another $150 AUD for fish and I'm all set now.

I guess all things are relative... Size and number to tanks, as well as light-levels probably play the biggest role in what you actually end up spending...

My $2k was on 1 tank, a 72g with high to very-high light and lots of exotic critters...

Perhaps I am a little too analytically minded, but I would love to see others breakdowns!

i would probably run into about 10-12k, after all the tanks and impulse buys that have gone through my hands.
The 240 gal FW cost me about 2 1/2k before fish and decorations. no co2 yet.
its now full of discus and plants so add another 1k
my 55gal SW has cost me over a grand without fish.... i had 12-13 tanks at one stage!
i better stop, i'm gonna cry.
I do it, because i love it. thats what counts.

trotty said:
i would probably run into about 10-12k, after all the tanks and impulse buys that have gone through my hands.
The 240 gal FW cost me about 2 1/2k before fish and decorations. no co2 yet.
its now full of discus and plants so add another 1k
my 55gal SW has cost me over a grand without fish.... i had 12-13 tanks at one stage!
i better stop, i'm gonna cry.
I do it, because i love it. thats what counts.
That's more like it! A friend at work tells me he has spent well over $15k on his 300g Reef tank in the year since he has had it. Of course that included a custom made tank, etc... A little rich for my pocket book... but hey, it is a good reference point if you are planning on doing a 300g Reef tank.

In that vein, I would say that you could safely bet on $2k-$2.5k outlay on a complete, high-tech FW planted tank with all the bells and whistles, in the range of 75g or so. If you are a budget shopper, buy used equipment, etc, this more accurately represents the upper spending threshold.

Back
Top Bottom