is chiller really needed ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbtars

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I am setting up a new 30 gallons fresh water plant aquarium.

In sumer , temperatures can easily get to 104F outside and without air condition i get about 90F in the house.

I would like to know if a chiller is required to keep my tank bellow those temperatures or will the plants survive the summer ?

I haven't decided which plants or fish to put yet . but i guess temperature should be around the 76F

I will not use a Co2 system, instead i will add liquid Co2. I will use a JBL Manado soil and Red Sea , FloraBase on top.

Thanks,

David

I've never had to use a chiller BUT I imagine the tank water will get hotter than 76. I have a 220g in the sunroom and if the windows are open and the temps are hotter outside my tank has gotten up to 82F. If it creeps any higher I close the windows and turn the AC on. You can look up plants that can handle warmer temps. Research plants for discus tanks, I know AquariumPlant.com has a Discus warm water plant sections you can get ideas from. Then choose fish that like hotter temps like Rams. I seriously wouldn't mess with a chiller unless it you find your tank water just gets too darn hot in the worst summer heat.

thxs for the advise

i will try choose only plants that can sustain 82F with same PH, Co2 requirement and light.

this is what i came across :

Anubias barteri ''coffeefolia''
Anubias Barteri
Anubias Nana
Crinum (water Onion) Thaianum)
Crinum Natans
Cryptocoryne Balansae
Cryptocoryne Petchi
Cryptocoryne Wendtii (Green)
Cryptocoryne Wendtii De Witt (Red)
Amazon Broadleaf (Echnidorus Bleheri)
Ozelot (Ech. Ozelot)
Pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala)
Temple (stricta) Hygrophilia Corombosa)
Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus )
Java Fern, Lace Windelov
Saggitaria Subulata (Narrow Leaf)
Jungle Vallisneria
Italian Vallisneria

Without reaching them they look fine. There are several plants that can do higher temps but some plants like many Ludwigia's don't do well at all in warmer tanks. If your careful about your choices IMO you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom