Is CO2 Injection required?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natedogg569

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So yeah my question is pretty much the topic. Is CO2 injection required for planted tanks...will they live without?

There is a certain amount of light that requires co2 to avoid algae issues, but low and medium light tanks generally will not need co2 although they will benefit greatly from it in many circumstances.

aqua_chem said:
There is a certain amount of light that requires co2 to avoid algae issues, but low and medium light tanks generally will not need co2 although they will benefit greatly from it in many circumstances.

I bought a cheap £5.99 co2 in a diffuser. And u spray it and it dissolves over time.
Noticed a few air bubbles on my hemianthus.
I bought the co2 pressurised system yesterday from fluval and omg air bubbles everywhere!!
I would recommend always!!!

samispeed said:
i bought a cheap £5.99 co2 in a diffuser. And u spray it and it dissolves over time.
Noticed a few air bubbles on my hemianthus.
I bought the co2 pressurised system yesterday from fluval and omg air bubbles everywhere!!
I would recommend always!!!

image-3833384364.jpg

CO2 Question

So yeah my question is pretty much the topic. Is CO2 injection required for planted tanks...will they live without?

Hello nate...

Everyone you ask has a theory. If you keep to low to moderate light plants, then the ferts the fish produce and possibly some trace elements is enough.

If you increase the light, you tell the plant, I want you to grow faster. So, you need to give the plant the nourishment equal to the increase in the light, or you'll have algae problems. The main plant nutrient is carbon. If you increase the lighting to a high level, then a system that gets a lot of carbon to the plant is needed.

B

You can always start out using a liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel and see how things go, then when you get a better working knowlege of your tank you can spend the money on a nice CO2 set up. Right now I run a heavily planted high light tank using glutaraldehyde (which is the active ingredient of Excel). Ease in slowly is the best advice I can give you.

Back
Top Bottom