Is CO2 necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting to plan out a planted tank since my 10g is on it's end of cycling. Because I'm a beginner, I don't want anything to do with CO2, it's a tad bit too expensive and high maintenance for my taste and knowledge.

So here lies my question: if I had 2-2.5 wpg, would that require CO2? Im planning to buy 2 14w CFL bulbs for my tank (there is 2 fixtures on the hood), though I might just get lower wattage if that requires CO2. I want to start off with low-moderate plants at the most.

Thanks. :)

It depends on the plants, I have three amazon swords, a water wisteria, an Anubias nana, a java fern, anacharis, and two Marimo moss balls, I don't have co2, but I do have liquid ferts and root tabs, that's not too expensive, 20 bucks every three months

It depends on the plants, I have three amazon swords, a water wisteria, an Anubias nana, a java fern, anacharis, and two Marimo moss balls, I don't have co2, but I do have liquid ferts and root tabs, that's not too expensive, 20 bucks every three months

Yeah, I was thinking of using ferts and supplements but just not co2 because of the maintenance and pricing. And I'm new so I don't want to tamper with that stuff until I get the hang of handling live plants.

All of those plants are in my plan as well. :) what kind of plants would you say need co2?

With the amount of light your planning, ferts, and no co2, you could encounter an algae problem. You could consider using liquid carbon, like excel, or API co2 booster. That might help prevent an algae issue.

CO2 depends on your light, and your light should depend on what you want to grow. Since you have the flexibility of a 10g, you can probably avoid doing CO2 by going down to 2x10w if the 13w bulbs give you trouble. In either case, a liquid carbon supplement would be very beneficial.

Which begs the question, what plants are you planning on having?

CO2 depends on your light, and your light should depend on what you want to grow. Since you have the flexibility of a 10g, you can probably avoid doing CO2 by going down to 2x10w if the 13w bulbs give you trouble. In either case, a liquid carbon supplement would be very beneficial.

Which begs the question, what plants are you planning on having?

Easy and low-moderate lighting plants, such as;

Aponogetons
java moss
Various java fern
Various anubias
dwarf lily
Moss balls
Easier types of crypt
Jungle Val
Flame Moss
Dwarf sag
Amazon frogbit
Corkscrew Val

..keep in mind that I don't plan to use all of these plants, these are just the options I debating on. So probably less than half of the list.

With the amount of light your planning, ferts, and no co2, you could encounter an algae problem. You could consider using liquid carbon, like excel, or API co2 booster. That might help prevent an algae issue.

I've heard of excel everywhere lol, I heard it works well, but I don't remember seeing it at my lps. Argh. Maybe I should try the API, because they have everything API there.

Oh I don't like liquid co2 because its just liquid carbon, it does help but not that much
Also it restricts some of your plant options, such as anacharis, one of my favorite plants, is very easy and grows like wildfire, but the liquid co2 melts it and many other plants

Oh I don't like liquid co2 because its just liquid carbon, it does help but not that much
Also it restricts some of your plant options, such as anacharis, one of my favorite plants, is very easy and grows like wildfire, but the liquid co2 melts it and many other plants

O____O okay maybe no liquid co2 then... Lol

They have TONS of that plant at my lps. And they sell it for $2 a bunch. So that's on my list as well..why can't it tolerate liquid co2?

Oh anacharis melts because it thrives in low oxygen water, and liquid co2 has so much carbon concentration in it, that it basically melts it away

Just to clarify a point. Excel, or API co 2 booster is not liquid co2, It is a form of liquid carbon that is beneficial to plant growth. Yes it will melt Anacharis. But it benefits many other plants.
Not chastising just clearing a little mis info.

Just to clarify a point. Excel, or API co 2 booster is not liquid co2, It is a form of liquid carbon that is beneficial to plant growth. Yes it will melt Anacharis. But it benefits many other plants.
Not chastising just clearing a little mis info.

Darn :/ anacharis was one that I really wanted..anything else besides that plant, that it destroys?

Is there anything else that can prevent or stop algae problems?

Also, what plants did you find that didn't tolerate the co2? I heard even vals don't tolerate it.

I may just get lower lighting then..

Oh yea sorry forgot about the tank size:/

Otos would be perfect, they grow to be 1-1 1/2 inches and are very cool, do a great job at cleaning your tank!

To reduce or prevent algae, you need to have a good balance between lights, ferts, and CO2. Leaving one of those components out often leads to algae growth.
Have you considered DIY CO2? It is really inexpensive and easy to setup. The pic below shows the same tank after introducing DIY CO2. Notable is the dwarf sag at the front of the tank. I was getting slow growth with weekly ferts (Seachem Flourish Comp), daily Excel, and monthly root tabs. The light is a Finnex Fuegray. After 6 weeks the dwarf sag has taken off. The Bacopa caroliniana will reach the surface in a week or two after cutting it down to half the tank height.
zwMmzgC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom