Is CO2 necessary for my plants? 60 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megglesmaniac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 60 gallon aquarium I'm in the midst of cycling, and I was curious if a CO2 diffuser/system is necessary for it. I have a bunch of low light plants and a good T5/HO light shining on them. The fish seem happy so far (I'm doing a fish-in cycling with some mollies - eventually will get discus).

Thanks! Here's a picture of my current setup. :fish2:

We'll it always depends, if you have low light plants like anubias and java ferns maybe some moss, they don't require much. Co2 but of course if you have or going to get high light high tech plants like dwarf baby tears, and elocharis sp. 'mini'. These plants need co2 but if you have low light low tech plants co2 is not necessary , but plants will grow faster and more colorful with CO2

CO2 + Discus is a very delicate balance. If you chose to stock your tank with plants that are moderate to high light needy, then a CO2 system would be good if you can do it "right." Right in terms of knowing your kH, then getting a pH controller to target and have a stable pH (with your kH in mind) for the Discus.

But as what Alex mentioned, if you still with low light plants, you won't need a CO2 system.

Back
Top Bottom