Is E.I. for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irdajoh

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all. My goal is to have a lush carpet and bonsai tree. I have a 45 g tall with a 36 inch finnex planted+24/7, on 24/7 mode. Pressurized co2 with solenoid (turns on at 7 AM, that's an hour from when my light starts ramping up. Turns off at 10.
My substrate is gravel and floramax mixture, that should have my macros but don't I need to dose more?
My parameters last time I checked a week ago with co2 on was
pH:6.8-6.4
Ammoina:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10-20
Water temp:75-77
Trying to grow dwarf hair grass and what I think is weeping moss on a bonsai and the moss grows like what ever already. Is EI a step in the right direction to help have a lush carpet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi all. My goal is to have a lush carpet and bonsai tree. I have a 45 g tall with a 36 inch finnex planted+24/7, on 24/7 mode. Pressurized co2 with solenoid (turns on at 7 AM, that's an hour from when my light starts ramping up. Turns off at 10.
My substrate is gravel and floramax mixture, that should have my macros but don't I need to dose more?
My parameters last time I checked a week ago with co2 on was
pH:6.8-6.4
Ammoina:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10-20
Water temp:75-77
Trying to grow dwarf hair grass and what I think is weeping moss on a bonsai and the moss grows like what ever already. Is EI a step in the right direction to help have a lush carpet?

Hello :)

I think the most important part of this is going to be getting enough light to the bottom of the tank. Me and my brother have one of these 45g tall. It's roughly 30-32 inches tall.

As I'm sure you are well aware, hairgrass takes a great deal of light and extras to flourish.

I have a 24/7 on a 10g but I cannot say its capabilities for a tank this tall. Mine has grown everything I've put under it though. (Have not tried hairgrass)

Fertilizers is all about finding a balance. I would guess with this tank being high tech you will need to dose nitrates. But that's for you to determine through testing how much and whether or not you even will.

I believe optimum phosphates is 2.0ppm? Planted guys/gals please correct me on that.

I'd stock up on co2 because with hairgrass you will need it :)

Caleb

Hello :)

I think the most important part of this is going to be getting enough light to the bottom of the tank. Me and my brother have one of these 45g tall. It's roughly 30-32 inches tall.

As I'm sure you are well aware, hairgrass takes a great deal of light and extras to flourish.

I have a 24/7 on a 10g but I cannot say its capabilities for a tank this tall. Mine has grown everything I've put under it though. (Have not tried hairgrass)

Fertilizers is all about finding a balance. I would guess with this tank being high tech you will need to dose nitrates. But that's for you to determine through testing how much and whether or not you even will.

I believe optimum phosphates is 2.0ppm? Planted guys/gals please correct me on that.

I'd stock up on co2 because with hairgrass you will need it :)

Caleb

Well I honestly think there's enough light because it's growing roots and spreading out on the older grass. I used cultured grass. Now since it's a 24/7 light it changes par though out the day, so I could just run it on max setting for 6 - 8 hours.
It's just I don't does macros yet since the floramax substrate. And isn't the point of EI is for me to NOT measure how much is in the water but over does and reset weekly with 50%?
I probably wouldn't need to does nitrates because the fish(10-20ppm), but other macros yes?

If your fish keep it at 10-20ppm then yes there is not need to dose nitrates.

The part about planted substrates is they don't start out with any nutrients. They absorb and hold nutrients that you add to the tank.

Caleb

If your fish keep it at 10-20ppm then yes there is not need to dose nitrates.

The part about planted substrates is they don't start out with any nutrients. They absorb and hold nutrients that you add to the tank.

Caleb

Floramax is advertised that it has macro elements, potassium, magnesium, iron, etc. And I used stupid normal gravel 50/50 mix. I rushed and should of done more with the substrate..

Floramax is advertised that it has macro elements, potassium, magnesium, iron, etc. And I used stupid normal gravel 50/50 mix. I rushed and should of done more with the substrate..

It has some, but the majority comes from you.

Root tabs also help.

Caleb

It has some, but the majority comes from you.

Root tabs also help.

Caleb

I've seen you around here a lot, with you're best opinion what should I do?

Get a reflector for the back of the tank? That can help the light problem.
Start the EI?
Wait a few more weeks to notice growth?
I think starting EI can't hurt if my substrate isn't full of nutrients.

http://imgur.com/a/sE17l here's the tank

It's looking good!

I've had very good growth using PPS-PRO and my 24/7.

Go for it!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436450089.622612.jpg

Caleb

I use EI, I think its much easier than constantly testing and giving minimal nutrients. I just fill up a those bottles GLA sells one with Mac and one Micro. Then dose set amount each day, then on Sunday I do a 50-70% water change. Then rinse and repeat on Monday.

Doing this eliminates the need to measure out ferts every single day, that can get tiring :) and when in a hurry for work you know to squeeze the bottle to 15ml (or whatever is your mark) dump and run.

That's just my 2 cents, I am sure others will give their opinion.

Ohh PPS-PRO. That's what I use :)

You use a digital scale and mix it yourself.

Caleb

Liking you're tank friend. So you thought I was looking at different types of firts? The set I want is a good choice? I was already pretty sold because the bottles alone LOL.

I use EI, I think its much easier than constantly testing and giving minimal nutrients. I just fill up a those bottles GLA sells one with Mac and one Micro. Then dose set amount each day, then on Sunday I do a 50-70% water change. Then rinse and repeat on Monday.

Doing this eliminates the need to measure out ferts every single day, that can get tiring :) and when in a hurry for work you know to squeeze the bottle to 15ml (or whatever is your mark) dump and run.

That's just my 2 cents, I am sure others will give their opinion.

It looks like this is the best thing for US residents so I'm about to order it!

Back
Top Bottom