Is it normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkfin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! Last week I set up a 10 gl tank to breed for the second time glowlight tetra. When to my local fish store and bought some elodea for the tank, used water from my main fish tank, bought some gravel and a friend gave me some white sand (not from the ocean). Well, set up the tank, put the fish in there and the following day the plans were bubbling like crazy (natural light btw) a week after I had to prune them cuz they grew a lot and had lots of little new plants. I thought a plant took a while to get used to the tank before they started growing and creating o2 u know. Im very happy with the result. But I was just wondering, this was too quick right?

Well, the bubbling, or pearling, can happen right after new water is added, like a water change, so I guess that would make sense if that happened for a short time. I guess the sunlight (I assume that's what you meant by natural light) made them grow like crazy. What fertilizer are you using and is there any co2 added, like liquid, DIY, or pressurized?

None. Just water, temperature 24`, substrate and they dont seem to have any insufficiency yet and the new plants are pretty healthy. I keep a slow flow on the surface so there is a gas exchange process. But no co2 or fertilizer of any sort

The plants were producing oxygen, thats what I meant the day after they were planted. Seeing the photosyntesis, the bubbles coming out the leaves was pretty cool.

I like this thread. Most people come here with problems, but here it's "Help, my tank is doing well".

If you get healthy plants from a tank with similar parameters, it's not unreasonable for them to hit the ground running. A lot of time plants need to recover/adapt from the crappy conditions of shipping/pet stores, but if that's not the case, then there's really nothing holding them back.

Yes, as simple as that! I just thought it was cool since its my first time keeping aquatic plants and theyre doing well, the ones in the pic are the new plants after I pruned them

ForumRunner_20130728_194431.jpg

Yeah anacharis and elodea grow like they're on steroids that's why I love them.

I just recently read an article online that said that elodia releases a substance as it grows that keeps algae from growing, there nutrients lovers so it actually makes sense. They dont want competitors

Back
Top Bottom