Is It Pollsible To Have Too Much Light??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stelt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I am new to the planted aquarium(and this site...1st thread!) and was wondering if there was such a thing as too much light and what the results are if you have too much. I am setting up a 10 gallon and plan to use CFLs to light it. I am planning on going with 2x13w CFL 6500k w hang on lamps. 13w CFL = 60w regular. This seems like a lot of wattage as I see most say you only need 3-5 per gallon and this would be 120 watts! Should I go with one and see how it goes or try both? I'm new and need help! Thanks in advance!!

:thanks: ~ Stelt

More light = more energy

More energy = fast plant growth

Fast plant growth from high lighting means that co2 and nutrients need to be in tip top shape.

Plants need 3 things for growth...
Light
Co2
Ferts.

The more light you have, the more of the others you also need. This is the balancing act of a planted tank.

Without a balanced planted aquarium your plants will suffer, algae will take hold and your enthusiasm will diminish.

If you set this up, i give it a month before your asking all sorts of algae related questions.

YES THERE IS SUCH A THING AS TOO MUCH LIGHT AND TOO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM FALL INTO THE TRAP

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi all, I am new to the planted aquarium(and this site...1st thread!) and was wondering if there was such a thing as too much light and what the results are if you have too much. I am setting up a 10 gallon and plan to use CFLs to light it. I am planning on going with 2x13w CFL 6500k w hang on lamps. 13w CFL = 60w regular. This seems like a lot of wattage as I see most say you only need 3-5 per gallon and this would be 120 watts! Should I go with one and see how it goes or try both? I'm new and need help! Thanks in advance!!

:thanks: ~ Stelt

That should be ok. If needed, you can raise the lights higher or filter thru a plastic screen.

I use two 10 watt mini CFLs on my 10g. Perfect !! I grow low to low/med light plants. Never had an algae issue. Tanks been up for years.

I do use liquid ferts.

1x weekly:
PWCs with Prime
API LeafZone
Flourish comprehensive

Weekly or daily
Flourish Excel ( Carbon)

I put my lights on a timer. I would start out with your lights on for eight hours a day , and keep an eye on the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the info! I will set up a timer and adjust height if needed! I plan to either dirt or eco complete(any suggestions on this would be great too!) and grow some annubus, dwarf sag, and a sword to start. I am going to use liquid fert and diy tabs. May add Excell or diy co2 later. Again thanks for the info! Keep it coming! Love it!

Back
Top Bottom