Is it possible????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
So as I’m getting more interested in planted tanks, I’m learning about the possibility of snails... I’m not a fan of them at all and my gf hates them.. she def has a phobia lol. Is it even possible to have a planted tank without getting snails????

Sure. Buy them from Petco or PetSmart in the containers. They're guaranteed snail free.

Many people believe there is a snail fairy that drops the little buggers in our tanks.

I've never got a snail off the plants in the plastic containers that say snail free. Like goatnad was saying, do a bleach dip.

List of things randomly appearing in my planted tanks:
Snails - bladder snails.
Hydra
Planaria
Limpets

The bladder snails died off on their own, they were in the same tanks as my ramshorn snails who will out compete everything.

Limpets popped up and disappeared on their own. Suspect they were on a plant or wood.

Had to treat my tank to Kill the planaria and hydra. I only had a few hydra but the planaria were bad. I suspect a moss ball was the source.

So I went to that fish store and they def had snails in their tank. Lol. The girl behind the counter said that once you have a planted tank you will get snails.. I said what if I try the bleaching method . She shook her head and completely shattered my dream of starting my planted tank. Smdh

So I went to that fish store and they def had snails in their tank. Lol. The girl behind the counter said that once you have a planted tank you will get snails.. I said what if I try the bleaching method . She shook her head and completely shattered my dream of starting my planted tank. Smdh

And she is completely wrong. There are many people that don't have a single snail in their tanks. Bleach will absolutely kill snails. I don't think I would be listening to her anymore.

It's why I stopped listening to pet store employees long ago. To much bad info. I got a tank with plants and I had zero snails until the day I added nerites that don't reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom