Is my plant unhealthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaquaFanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am just gettinf into this plant stuff and I was wondering if these brown spot were an indication that my java fern is not doing well.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1443668829885.jpg
    1443668829885.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 70
If thats the green branch looking thing that all the leafs are connected to then no I can still see it.

At least I dont feel its buried

Attachments

• 1443669781806.jpg
    1443669781806.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 64
Does the brown come off of you rub it? It's late so my brain isn't thinking on all cylinders, but if they don't come off some questions need to be answered.
1. Lightning?
2. Photoperiod?
3. Time in the tank?
4. Ferts?
5. Co2?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I checked this morning the spots do not rub off. and here's the answers to you your following questions. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me figure this out.
1. Lightning? I have a basic light that came with the tank
2. Photoperiod? The Tank is across the room from my window so it gets what ever light is in the room for the day and 7 hours of the tank light being on when I get home
3. Time in the tank? The Java fern is fairly new to the tank. I just got it on Sunday along with a anubias that is looking fine.
4. Ferts?
5. Co2? No ferts or Co2, was told by the guy at the store that it wasn't necessary, Also did some research and from what I gathered this statement seemed to hold true.

Brown spots are completely normal with java fern. I don't have a lot of leaves of it without a hole or a brown spot. For me, when a leaf starts to die, that means that anew baby plant or several are soon going to appear on it. Your plant is healthy, and if you keep the rhizome above the substrate you'll be fine.

Brown spots are completely normal with java fern. I don't have a lot of leaves of it without a hole or a brown spot. For me, when a leaf starts to die, that means that anew baby plant or several are soon going to appear on it. Your plant is healthy, and if you keep the rhizome above the substrate you'll be fine.

That is the complete opposite for me. I don't have any health leafs woth brown spots. Whenever I see brown I usually get baby plants growing on that leaf.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any Suggestions on making my plants greener and healthier?

Back
Top Bottom