Is my substrate supposed to make my water look like tea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to set up my first "real" planted tank, and not that all gravel thing I had previously with a brighter light and some plants in it. My substrate for now is compost from last year's leaves. I heard a lot of luck has been had from potting soil. Anyway, after covering the substrate with my gravel (which was there previously), filling the tank, and letting the filter run for 48 hours, the water then looked like Southern Sweet Tea. Is this normal for most soil substrates?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

For tanks with your type of substrate it will require many 50% water changes to remove all of the tannins from the leaves that have decomposed. After about a week of daily 50 percent water changes (if possible) you should do weekly 50% water changes to keep the water a clearer color. it is normal the filter may help a little with the discoloration but not as much as water changes will.

I just now noticed I have live earthworms in my substrate. (Remember it is compost.) I expected them to drown. Will the earthworms last long like this or will they eventualy expire in the substrate?

This is normal. Just add active carbon to your filter and do excessive water changes. It will eventually go away. You also may see an ammonia spike within a few days which is also normal.
The earth worms I can't help with with. I know there are some species of worms that live in substrates that are not harmful and they eat decaying food. I know if people have an infestation of them, it normally means that their substrate needs a good vacuuming.

Herein lies the problem with using soil with a high organic content. As well as the browning of the water you may have decomposition going on which may lead to an algae outbreak. I use poor topsoil or subsoil mixed with gravel and the water starts and stays clear.
Worms drowning and then rotting will add to the organic soup in the tank.

Right now, I'm trying to instigate an ammonia/nitrate/nitrite spike to get the cycle started. Are most soil substratss basically minerals or are they more like traditional "dirt"?

Back
Top Bottom