Is sand ok to use for planted tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolene85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First I'm new to plants and kinda new to tanks. I'm going to be changing my substrate to a sand substrate. I want to do plants in it. What type of low light plants would do best in sand and should I get something that will dig in the sand like a loach to stir up the sand so I don't end up with the pocket gas stuff. ( sorry I don't remember what it's called) also I know I'm going to need to use some kind of firts. I'm not using any now because the the substrate I have has been in my tank for over a year so they have enough to feed off of. What are some good firts to use that aren't going to break me. I'm going to need some for the water and the root feeders. Should I let the sand sit for a few months before I put plants in or will the firts be enough for now? Is 50 lbs enough sand for a 55 or am I going to need more? Thanks for any advice you have for me. :)

You bet you can!

Many people use sand with plants and love it. They use a good liquid fert and put a few root tabs in the sand to get nutrients down into it. Low light plants can be the Anubias, ferns like Java, El Nino, many stem plants are OK also. You can plant in the sand as soon as you get it set up. You don't have to wait. On gravel it says to put in 2 pounds per gallon for a 2" substrate. Sand is denser but the same amount should be close. For sifting through the sand you can use Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Cory catfish loves sifting through it. I personally don't like white sand for the same reason I don't want white carpet in my house. A nice black sand is popular. Here's a couple of links to sites for you to look at and research what low light plants you could choose. Welcome to the planted side. OS.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2764288
Plants

Back
Top Bottom