is substrate imperative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akagochi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a planted tank that's about 2 and a half months old. about 15 plants, 20 community fish. I just got a CO2 regulator with the works. Is it imperative that I have substrate in my tank. I am working with gravel now. Plants are doing ok.
If I do add substrate do I need to drain the entire tank and start over? That seems like quite an undertaking. looking for an easier way, but will do it, to keep plants healthy. your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Best,

Kagochi

:confused:

I dont fully understand what youre trying to ask. Gravel is substrate.

Agreed, gravel is substrate, but it sounds like your asking should you switch from gravel to another substrate. In all honesty, if your plants are doing well, there's no need to. As long as the roots are properly anchored and receiving nutrients, your good to go.

If your worried that the gravel is to coarse and not giving enough support for the roots, just put pool filter sand in the areas where the plants are. At first it stays on the surface, but after a day or two slowly sink under the gravel and surrounding the roots.

I would put a more plant friendly high cec substrate in there if you really want to get serious about planted tanks. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it, how many well planted tanks do you see with just basic gravel?

colon and jockey you know exactly what I am talking about. I have an empty 35 gallon tank. I was thinking about this last night. How about I drain the 55 gallon as much as possible into the empty 35 gallon, bucket the fish in the remaining water of 55 gallon, and then redo the aquascape. With less water and no fish, this could be an efficient method. your thoughts?

Also, you mentioned pool sand, I saw a video where a guy also used regular planting soils?

Thanks fellas. This was my first time posting and I was jazzed to see there are actual folks out there that give a {mod edit} darn.

kagochi

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think theres any need to drain the tank to do that. I just scooped the gravel out and put sand in. Fish in and everything. But i only had a few fish when i did it so maybe netting them would be best to avoid stress

colon and jockey you know exactly what I am talking about. I have an empty 35 gallon tank. I was thinking about this last night. How about I drain the 55 gallon as much as possible into the empty 35 gallon, bucket the fish in the remaining water of 55 gallon, and then redo the aquascape. With less water and no fish, this could be an efficient method. your thoughts?

Also, you mentioned pool sand, I saw a video where a guy also used regular planting soils?

Glad we could help. If you are looking to completely change out the gravel, for soil or a high CEC substrate then yes do the 35gal option. Exchanging gravel can kick up a lot of debris and foul the water. This is how I would do it to avoid stressing the fish.

Some members use a miracle grow soil mix, but I don't remember the exact type. LFS's also sell specific plant substrate that's somewhere between gravel and PFS in size.

I would drain the tank completely, it makes things simpler and faster IMO.

I wouldn't go the soil route if this is your first real planted setup, spend the little extra and get something like ecocomplete or floramax.

Not that I have an issue with soil, I love the mineralized topsoil method, however it is a VERY diy approach and can have lots of little quirks, so it's not something I suggest initially. If you do decide to go dirt, look into mineralized topsoil method over the 'miracle grow organic choice potting soil' method'.

I would agree... soil is a bit more tedious and best left after you get the hang of plants IMO. While I do love MGOC, I have to agree with jetajockey that MTS would be favorable

well, I went the sand route and mixed with some of the existing gravel. I went to one of those gravel lots where they have sand, chipped wood etc. The sand was more of an all purpose so I passed on that. I then went to HomeDepot and checked out their stock of sand, and after talking to one of the gals (who was also a fish enthusiast) we decided that their sand wouldn't be a fit either. I basically bit the finacial bullet and played it safe with 2 twenty pound white sand bags. I then emptied the 55 gallon into the 35 gallon as previously planned, netted the fish in buckets. I got the water level pretty low, pulled all the plants. I then pushed gravel out of the way and layered the sand on the bottom. the middle section is all sand no gravel so that looks pretty cool. I'm hoping the sediment in the water will start to settle down soon. I also did about a 60% water change. the water was really dirty once I started stirring the old gravel, but appears to be clearing slowly.

Question: when should I hook up the CO2 regulator and run it? should I wait and test the levels tonight or tomorrow first, then hook it up, or can I run it tonight. also what are your thoughts on running another filter? I currently run an Eheim cannister filter, but I heard the more filtration the better.

Kagochi

You can set up the co2 whenever you are ready, you just need to monitor it and get it at the correct level. If you are doing co2 injection then you really don't want a ton of movement, but that might just be me.

I've used the home depot playsand without any problem, I actually have it in 2 tanks right now, it's just not something I use in my heavily planted tanks.

hey man i just did a whole empty tank/add substrate project but alot more complex. its not that bad, takes 3 hours or so

i use home depot play sand and eco complete

hey man i just did a whole empty tank/add substrate project but alot more complex. its not that bad, takes 3 hours or so

i use home depot play sand and eco complete

?? Play sand is high in silica and can cause algae problems, especially diatoms, it also has clumping issues.

also substrate is def not imperative. all the plants really need is light

If you're doing a planted tank, substate is absolutely imperative, without it you have no way of actually planting the tank. Substate simply means the bottom material in your tank, it can be gravel, sand, dirt, etc.

I went ahead and bought the white sand from Petco. one and a half twenty pound bags did it. mixed that with the gravel, replanted, and running the CO2 on a timer with the lights. Pretty happy with it.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom