Is there a safe solution to remove snails/eggs from new plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4thgradescience

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

We want to slowly change our plastic plants over to real. I have someone that will give us some aquarium plants but he says they will probably come with snails and or snail eggs. (We have bought nerite snails to avoid the snail reproduction in our tank.) I have read of a few options to remove snails and their eggs off of the plants before introducing them into the tank. I have seen chlorine bleach, Hydra-Tox, Potassium Permanganate, and Alum all mentioned as options for treating plants. Can anyone recommend one of these options? I know plants from fish stores can come home with snails so I figure free plants with snails is worth considering.

Thank you!

Soak in dechlorinated water for 24 hours and then take them and put the plants in (obviously don't dump the water in) if you do end up getting snails on accident, I know it counterproductive but put an assasin snail in they are awesome and will get rid of snails within a week.

Back
Top Bottom