Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is there a transitional period for aquatic plants? (Beginner)

Hey guys!

This is my first thread on this forum so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong area.

I am currently in the first week of cycling my very first aquarium. Its a low tech 125L (33 gal) planted tank. Since I added the plants a week ago, they all seem to be deteriorating by the day. Symptoms include yellowing/browning of leaves and "cottoning" of some of the leaves. I spoke to someone for the fish store and he told me just a transitionary period. I haven't started dosing anything yet except Seachem Stability and Seachem Flourish Excel. Also, my first layer of substrate is ADA Power Sand Special and my second layer is ADA Amazonia II.

These are the plants I have in my tank:
- Anubius Nana
- Cryptocoryne Costata
- Lobelia Cardinalis
- Staurogyne Bihar
- Sagittaria Subulata
- Java Fern
- Weeping Moss
- Staurogyne Repens
- 3 other unidentified plants (my father bought them for me without asking what species they were, but they're actually the best out of the lot)

My filter is the Juwel BioFlow M (600l/hr) and my light is the Juwel MultiLux LED (2x14W), which I keep on for 8 hrs a day. I did my research before buying any of the plants and I'm quite certain that these plants should be fairly low tech. However, I'm obviously missing something. I'd really appreciate your help guys.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I usually let my tank run for a few weeks before adding plants, but melting is common. Some are more extreme than others, but I think most suffer some degree of melting. Hang in there, keep an eye on everything, and you'll start to see improvements. Plants started immersed will suffer the most.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoborg View Post
I usually let my tank run for a few weeks before adding plants, but melting is common. Some are more extreme than others, but I think most suffer some degree of melting. Hang in there, keep an eye on everything, and you'll start to see improvements. Plants started immersed will suffer the most.
Its funny, just this morning I noticed some new, bright green, leaves on the melting plants. I'm definitely going to hang in there. Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!
Old 04-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Iíve had some plants sit there for several weeks while they adjust. Potassium dosing may also help for older leaves.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem Monzer View Post
Its funny, just this morning I noticed some new, bright green, leaves on the melting plants. I'm definitely going to hang in there. Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

FANTASTIC !! I know it's a little unnerving to see your just purchased plants melt away in front of you...but you get used to it !! For me it's always been Monte Carlo..anytime I move that stuff it has a violent reaction before returning to a nice lush lawn !! Before you know it you'll be throwing clippings out in the front yard.....or better yet, offer them to others in the community....Patience is key in aquatic plants.

J

Tags
beginner, plant, plants, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com