Is this a good CO2 setup for a beginner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone... you all really helped me organize my thoughts. My bday is coming up next month and I'm creating a shopping list. I've been running my Nano Cube 12g on FW low tech style for quite sometime and it's getting boring. I'm going to FINALLY upgrade the lighting with the 'correct' lighting that's for FW (save the actinics for SW one day), get some EcoComplete substrate, and inject CO2. I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

Anyway... check out these youtube vids I found on the AquaTek... The first one is my inspiration in how I'm going to setup my Nano Cube (with my own twist of course). The Nano Cube is running the lighting mix I wanna do (1x65000k and 1x10,000k). It just so happens, he's using an AquaTek regulator as well. The second video is just a review of the AquaTek.

(note: at 2:51 you can see the Co2 setup)
Planted 12 Gallon Freshwater Aquarium - YouTube

Aquatek CO2 Injection System - YouTube

IMO, I would stay away from a regulator that has a set working pressure. There are several methods to introduce CO2 into the tank and one of them is diffusing the gas. I have read numerous complaints that individuals with this type of regulator being unable to diffuse the CO2 because the working pressure was to low.

I know to each his own, but when I purchase something I want maximum versatility.

rkilling1 said:
IMO, I would stay away from a regulator that has a set working pressure. There are several methods to introduce CO2 into the tank and one of them is diffusing the gas. I have read numerous complaints that individuals with this type of regulator being unable to diffuse the CO2 because the working pressure was to low.

I know to each his own, but when I purchase something I want maximum versatility.

Good point. I have a paintball regulator that allows me to adjust the pressure. I never put it over around 20psi though. If you get a diffuser that requires 30+psi, like some popular ones do, the aquatek may not cut it. But as long as you know what you have and what it can or cannot do, making it work properly is a piece of cake. The problem is that so many people generally assume co2 equipment is all universal. They buy the wrong diffuser and blame their other equipment. True, getting the best regulator at the start does mean most equipment will work fine with it. Simple fact is, $70 regulators won't work with everything, but they will grow plants just as well as the $170 ones and work perfectly fine with most diffusers and all DIY reactors.

I guess to sum it up, buying better is... well, better! lol It just isn't a requirement.

Do you know whats the working pressure required for a typical glass nano diffuser with a ceramic disk? I'm not in to the large size of those bubble ladders.

So I was reading up on this post, cause im in the same boat. Altough Poor, Dont want to hijack. Just wondering is it a bad idea to buy these items second hand?

The set working pressure on the Aquatek is 30 psi, it will adjust up as needed mine is currently at 35 psi with a glass difuser. In my research before I bought, I couldn't find anything that wouldn't work with 30+ psi.

I have a 50 gal tank with the aquatek on a timer turning on 1 hr before lights on and turning off 1 hour before lights off. I'm running 1 bps and I had no problem at all getting to 20-25 ppm using a drop checker and kh/ph test kits.

When I started all this I was extremely intimidated by it all. After scouring the internet and reading every single post I could find on regulators I was about to spend $300 on one from GLA because I was so scared of a tank dump or some needle valve problem. Or having to reset the needle valve after it turned off and then on again. But then I found this one and I thought at the price if this isn't for me it wouldn't be a big deal so I bought it. I cleared my whole night for potential problems setting it up and to test it. 5 mins Later it was set up and it is probably one of the easiest things I've ever done!! Trust me its much easier then you think and don't stress yourself out about it like I did.

You can spend more and I could have as well. But if I were to be honest it's just not necessary. All those problems that people rite about are thier problems not the regulator's

My plants have grown at an amazing rate since I set this up. You will be very happy once you see the results you can obtain with co2.

All those problems that people rite about are thier problems not the regulator's

"are thier(sp) problems"? It's never the regulator? really?

I know that regulator will not run numerous diffusers due to the higher pressures needed.

Here is just one that I found in the 5 seconds I spent looking:

UP-Aqua Co2 Super Diffuser System Twin Tube D519-16-T | eBay

Read: requires 36 PSI minimum working pressure.

Maybe a better description would have been "most" instead of "All".

Obviously you wouldn't want to purchase this type of diffuser for that regulator, but again, I would make sure I had the most flexibility when I plan on purchasing something that I will use for many years.

Back
Top Bottom