Is this a good CO2 setup for a beginner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thinking of redoing one my tanks (12 gallon) to grow medium/high light plants with CO2 injection...

I'm not sure if I'd want to do a DIY setup (looks messy and I don't think I'd want to mix up the yeast every week)... I think I'd prefer the clean high tech look of a kit with a CO2 cylinder...

Can someone tell me if this is a good deal as an all in one package?

ISTA Professional C02 Supply Set
Planted Aquarium C02 Systems: ISTA 1L Professional C02 Supply Set 677

Otherwise, what's another good option of putting something together similar (cheaper is better)?

Thanks!

This is just my opinion. The first setup seems pretty good other than the price. The second setup is not so good because you would have to keep buying the fluval co2 cartridges and it doesn't have a solenoid on the regulator. Basically you would have to either leave it on 24/7 or mess with it everyday. I think that if you aren't worried about instant gratification you can piece a setup together for much cheaper. An old paintball cylinder from Craigslist and reg and bubble counter/diffuser from eBay would be much cheaper. Htg supply has good prices on eBay for regulators.

This is just my opinion. The first setup seems pretty good other than the price. The second setup is not so good because you would have to keep buying the fluval co2 cartridges and it doesn't have a solenoid on the regulator. Basically you would have to either leave it on 24/7 or mess with it everyday. I think that if you aren't worried about instant gratification you can piece a setup together for much cheaper. An old paintball cylinder from Craigslist and reg and bubble counter/diffuser from eBay would be much cheaper. Htg supply has good prices on eBay for regulators.

Can you piece it together for me as an example (i.e. with links, or brand name/models)? And how much it would all run if pieced together? I just don't want to buy crappy gear.. as long as it's quality I don't mind paying a little extra.. I know that those package deal kits are usually hit or miss whether your getting a discount or getting ripped off... this will be my first setup so I just don't know any better...LOL

That's pretty good. Just need some tubing and a check valve

The Milwaukee regulator is a good little setup. All you need beyond that is a tank (which can usually be acquired locally for less) and some method of diffusion.

I agree on the MA957. It is the best budget/entry level regulator you will find. It is better than the paintball/co2 cartridge tanks because you can get a larger tank and go longer between fillings. FIY, I got a new 5lb tank filled for I think $60. After that it is $12 to get filled.

Thanks guys... yeah I heard of Milwaukee. I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $19 over the AquaTek? Plus... my aquarium is only 12 gallons... wouldn't the 20oz paintball tank be sufficient? It's only like 20 bucks. The 5# and 10# are at least 3X the price.

Here's the link for the AquaTek:
Amazon.com: AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with COOL TOUCH SOLENOID: Pet Supplies

A 12 gallon for today and a ? gallon tomorrow. Investments should take into account future purchases.

Thanks guys... yeah I heard of Milwaukee. I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $19 over the AquaTek? Plus... my aquarium is only 12 gallons... wouldn't the 20oz paintball tank be sufficient? It's only like 20 bucks. The 5# and 10# are at least 3X the price.

Here's the link for the AquaTek:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041YLM7G/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=A34950EJPC3UHN

I have the Aquatek and I like it. Its preset so all you have to do is adjust the needle valve. I got mine for $64.99 on ebay with free shipping. I set it up a month ago and haven't had to touch it since. I didn't think the needle valve was hard to adjust at all. The solinoid never gets hotter then room temp. It looks and feels high quality. I think you would be happy with it.:)

I have the Aquatek and I like it. Its preset so all you have to do is adjust the needle valve. I got mine for $64.99 on ebay with free shipping. I set it up a month ago and haven't had to touch it since. I didn't think the needle valve was hard to adjust at all. The solinoid never gets hotter then room temp. It looks and feels high quality. I think you would be happy with it.:)

Yeah I noticed it was cheaper on ebay than on amazon. The Milwaukee is $98 on Amazon (includes shipping). So now the question is, is the Milwaukee worth spending the extra $33? I do like the bubble counter on the Milwaukee but how is the one that came with the Aquatek? Are you using a paintball co2 tank or a larger one?

Thanks!

Edit: I emailed AquaTek because I didn't see anything anywhere about a warranty and they responded in like an hour with "AQUATEK provides 90 days warranty for regulators."

Does anyone know if Milwaukee provides a warranty?

I've used a paintball setup on my 20h for over 4 years and love it. you can refill them anywhere and even have a spare tank for less then the cost of the 5# tank. On a 12 gallon a 20oz. Tank should last from 6 or more months easy. On a 40 gallon or larger I would say definitely spring for the Milwaukee, and you wouldn't be disappointed if you got it for your 12, but it's really isn't necessary. Both systems will do the job just fine. Even some gas stations refill paintball cylinders, and by having a spare one on hand you can switch it out at a moments notice and refill the empty one without having to rush to get your co2 flowing again. I don't see a downside considering it's a small tank.

Yeah I do like the track record and what I've been hearing about Milwaukee but for the $33 difference, I was thinking I can buy a nice glass diffuser and/or a spare paintball tank if I get the AquaTek. There's a paintball shop that I can refill the paintball tanks less than a mile from my house. Plus my tank is pretty small and there's no room for a huge tank. I just like to keep things neat and out of the way.

CorallineAlgae... thanks for letting me know how long (approx.) a 20oz paintball tank should last. I was wondering that.. and 6 months sounds pretty good to me!

Yeah I noticed it was cheaper on ebay than on amazon. The Milwaukee is $98 on Amazon (includes shipping). So now the question is, is the Milwaukee worth spending the extra $33? I do like the bubble counter on the Milwaukee but how is the one that came with the Aquatek? Are you using a paintball co2 tank or a larger one?

Thanks!

Edit: I emailed AquaTek because I didn't see anything anywhere about a warranty and they responded in like an hour with "AQUATEK provides 90 days warranty for regulators."

Does anyone know if Milwaukee provides a warranty?

I'm using it with a regular 5# cylinder. The bubble counter is fine. its a little tricky to fill up thou. I use a syringe. you can by the jbj BC like the milwaukee has for 10 bucks if you want.

After all the research I did before I bought this I decided to go with this one because of the set working pressure and price. At the time I felt that most people who did have problems with the milwaukee were because they didn't have the working pressure set correctly. (Tank dumps and what not). Now that I have the Aquatek I can't possibly see how the milwaukee could be any better. If anything its just the same thing in a diffrent package.

I think both items are good and I wouldn't listen to the people who say either is junk. I think people don't setthem up properly and then when they don't work right they blame the product. When in fact it is "User Error"

Good luck with what ever you buy. It will be much easier then you think it is!!

Brian_Nano12g said:
There's a paintball shop that I can refill the paintball tanks less than a mile from my house. Plus my tank is pretty small and there's no room for a huge tank. I just like to keep things neat and out of the way.

Same here, this was why I decided to go that rout, too. My stand is simply to small to keep a 5# tank, a canister filter and all the other stuff I need to fit in it. Plus, there's a store that will refill paintball cylinders super close to my house. That made the choice a no brainer.

Misterc007, right on man! 100% right on!

Back
Top Bottom