Is this a good light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donkey Gun

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ello!

I'm shopping around for a new light for my 10 gallon and came across this one:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/view...cmd=VIDESC&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=91535443478

Is this a good light for a planted aquarium?

Right now I have 2 socket coralife 50/50 10w and I'm looking for something more powerful.

Please check out my 10 gallon photo album to see all the plants I'm trying to provide enough light for!

Thank you!

These are the odyssea fixtures from aquatraders.com:

LED/ Underwater Lights

They have .06w LEDs.... meaning they put off very little light... I would say that they are probably about or below T12s.

Fish lights, but not plant lights.

So I guess that's a no... These would not be good for plants...

bummer.

What do you recommend for a 10 gallon?

Or are the ones I have strong enough?
2 - coralife 50/50 10 watts.

Replace the 50/50 with 10k or 6.7k bulbs and you'll actually have a good light level for many plants.

^+1 on the bulb replacing, id go for one 10,000k and one 6700k to give it a nice contrast!

I really dont think that there is a significant difference between 6700K and 10000K as far as photosynthesis is concerned. Its largely an aesthetic choice.

On second thought, most 10g have a left bulb and a right bulb rather than a front and a back, meaning that one side of the tank will have one hue, and the other will be another.... that would drive me insane.

And these are just regular bulbs I can pickup anywhere?

Just make sure they are at least 6700k.

All the bulbs I've looked at are around 2900k. Is a 6700k something you can get at home depot, or do I have to buy it at the LFS?

My local walmart only has he soft white bulbs too... but you can find daylight bulbs at home improvement stores as well. I got mine at Ace.

The walmart 'Cool daylight' bulbs work well IME. I've got some in a shop light over a 20 long right now and have kept many plants under them. They're also a fraction of what those 'aquarium' bulbs cost.

The walmart 'Cool daylight' bulbs work well IME. I've got some in a shop light over a 20 long right now and have kept many plants under them. They're also a fraction of what those 'aquarium' bulbs cost.

Couldn't agree with you more. Just the 6,500K Daylight CFL bulbs is the same thing I have started using. They are very cost effective and the plants love 'em.

+1 on the daylight bulbs. That's all I use in my t8 and t5 no lights. My plants are doing just fine too

I'll keep an eye out, all I've come across so far at CVS and Home Depot are cool white. The highest I found I think was around 4800.

I did find some GE reveal incandescent bulbs. They range up to 100 watts, and advertise on the box as full color spectrum, but no info as far as kelvin rating.

No incandescents. That's not what you want.

They might be marketed under some derivation of "daylight". Cool daylight, warm daylight, etc.

Back
Top Bottom