Is this a practical idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dollabill420 said:
I might have to try a nano version of the tree and island I think I know an easy way to do it

Please share your idea :D

fishfanatic said:
Please share your idea :D

The tree would be however could get to stand up maybe a base attached to a good piece of driftwood then burried in whatever you please (I'm a noob at plants but good at building maybe we could help each other) I don't know the limitations of the moss very well. For the island take four hollow airtight balls not too big just right they have alot of buoyancy I'm not sure how much moss will float (maybe you know) lay the four balls on a surface and silicone them together in a rectangle with fishing line, one in each corner I'd probly put a "frame" on the top of the balls and also the bottom to make a 3d rectangle then put diagonal pieces of line from the corners to make an X then a single line from the middle of the x to a weight on the bottom then attach ur moss on how ever you do that I assume you'd have to tie it on for a couple months not sure how long moss would take to grow together. The only problem I think would be that when weighted in middle the four corners would come together, may have to build a ridged frame for the ball floats to be stiff in place or could independently weight the four corners down but I think you'd notice the line attaching to bottom more and wouldn't give the same affect, I can't think of a good material to use as a stiff frame maybe chop sticks lol or something of that nature, I feel sine bucket experiments and trial and error in the future :p lemme know wut you think we can tweak the idea

Ickletas said:

You took the fun right outta this lol jk, I see build the island into the tank off the back glass before it's set up, I was thinking in a way in which the tank was already going and wanted to put one in

Edit: my mind was too one way thinking of the island actually floating, it would be cool though if it swayed in the current, also forgot to say use a plastic mesh to make whatever shape desired

Ahhh sorry :D However the challenge now is to build one in an already set up tank.
On your marks, get set, GO!!!!

I am not sure if I understand. Are you talking about making something that would float at the serface of the tank and then suspend the 'island' from it?

fishfanatic said:
I am not sure if I understand. Are you talking about making something that would float at the serface of the tank and then suspend the 'island' from it?

The frame and mesh and floats are inside the island halfway in the water column

What if you got creative with perspex and were able to to make something that would hang from the back of the tank? Y'know like the breeder net whatsits but lower down and further in?

dollabill420 said:
You took the fun right outta this lol jk, I see build the island into the tank off the back glass before it's set up, I was thinking in a way in which the tank was already going and wanted to put one in

Edit: my mind was too one way thinking of the island actually floating, it would be cool though if it swayed in the current, also forgot to say use a plastic mesh to make whatever shape desired

I think suction cups will be your best friend :p and I have seen this plastic chicken wire that I think would work for the 'skeleton' of the cloud.
I think we could do this!
This will be my material list (if I do it):
Plastic chicken wire
Wire cutters
Zip ties
Large suction cups
And moss

I think suction cups will be your best friend :p and I have seen this plastic chicken wire that I think would work for the 'skeleton' of the cloud.
I think we could do this!
This will be my material list (if I do it):
Plastic chicken wire
Wire cutters
Zip ties
Large suction cups
And moss

You could be on to something there boss

Yeh hangin off the back with suction cups sounds the best to me but if wanted to stretch out and be big might need a float in the side that faces you, I must use one float!! Lol

Ickletas said:
You could be on to something there boss

Just call me fishfanatic ;) lol.
I just remember in my art class a few years ago with the plastic chicken wire we made a shake and then covered it with paper machete.

fishfanatic said:
Just call me fishfanatic ;) lol.
I just remember in my art class a few years ago with the plastic chicken wire we made a shake and then covered it with paper machete.

Nylon window screen could Work too I wonder if moss would attach to it easier

I wanted to do somthing like that with Marimo balls for a shrimp tank. With them suspended from fishing line. Sort of an alien polka dot world thing.

Pecktec said:
I wanted to do somthing like that with Marimo balls for a shrimp tank. With them suspended from fishing line. Sort of an alien polka dot world thing.

I have never thought of that! That is a really cool idea!

The tree is manzanita wood and weeping moss if I remember correctly. I ran across the log on that build a while ago, but I don't remember where it was.

Back
Top Bottom