Is this a upgrade in lighting?...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfish Lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently run 2 T8 fixture directly on top of my 55. I'm thinking about going to a catalina single T5 HO fixture that would sit 3-4 inches off the tank. I do not use co2 and don't plan on doing that. Would just like a little better/faster growth and was wondering if this would be an upgrade. I've always heard that having a good reflector plays a huge role and that Catalina has good reputation for good reflectors.

Is this a single bulb T5 or a duel bulb T5 ? A duel bulb would be an Upgrade.. but a single bulb T5 sitting above the tank I really wouldn't think would be worth the money TBH..

My 55G came with the standard 2 T8 bulbs like yours .. 1 on each side so basically its 1 bulb if you think about it. I went to pets mart and bought a duel T5 fixture from Aqueon.. It has metal reflectors in in and sits perfectly overtop the existing hood/glass that the two T8 fixtures sat in.. That was deff an upgrade in lighting.. My plants are growing like crazy. I always have to trim them back

I have the 3 t5 by catalina on my 55. It is perfect for my plants. Does not limit me to anything.

Attachments

• 1390942801591.jpg
    1390942801591.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 1390942832511.jpg
    1390942832511.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 55
It's the camera on my phone. It looks better in person. Mainly wanted to show the growth. But I was considering a uv sterilizer but didn't know of any that could be used without a canister filter

It also doesn't have a background on the tank. The wall color is a mossy color as well

Oh ok.. Because I know based on my tanks. lots of green plants can give the water a green effect.. but I was like dayumm you got soupy water lol

Haha no in person it is beautiful. Dang phone camera can't do justice. Ive been meaning to break out the dslr and snap some nice pics. Unfortunately that is the tank that crashed this morning. Only thing left is one angelfish and the plants.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom