Is this an adequate light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have this light
Current USA Satellite 20" 40 Watt Power Compact Fixture-Single Strip W/Lunar Light at Big Al's Online

I have four low light plants that I picked up from my lfs. Sorry I don't know there names but I was told they are the lowest maintence/light plants. Also This is all in a 10 gallon tank.

Is this adequate lighting or do I need something different. My buddy seems to think this is the wrong light. In case the link doesnt work the light is made my current-usa and is a 20" lunar light. It is 40 watts. The specs say sunpaq 10,000k daylight and 460 nm actinic. The lights are combined on one bulb. Also if I simply need a different bulb could you suggest one? I don't even know what this type of bulb is called. Thanks for the help!

if you swap out the bulb for a dual daylight or straight 10000K bulb, I think it'll be too much light for what you're trying to do. With the 50/50, it will probably be okay.

What your buddy was most likely referring to is the 1/2 460nm actinic. This light is of no use to plants whatsoever, although it can help to make your fish colors look more vibrant. There's no harm in running this lamp over your FW tank.

Your current lighting would be fine for low light plants, however if you swap out the bulb for a daylight bulb you would have roughly medium light and more plant options.

awesome thanks! and ya the actinic makes my fish look so tight! I have 8 neon tetras, one german blue ram, and one leapard danio. I'm glad I don't have to return the light though.

I'm having trouble finding more bulbs for the above light. Can anyone help me out with a link? Thanks.

This was an experimental tank (NH3/4 dosing, extremely soft water, etc) with that exact same hood and an all daylight bulb. I think once switching the bulb your lighting is adequate for most anything you could want to grow in a 10, fwiw.

Which of these bulbs would be best? I will probably never have any high maintnence plants but I plan on planting most of the tank and it will have a few community fish probably never more than what it has right now. I'm guessing the 10000/6700 40 watt bulb?

I think 10000K/6700K bulbs look great.

For clarity, with that light I think this should be a CO2 injected tank with dosing. (DIY/Yeast+Sugar at proper ppm counts as CO2 injected.) I think Excel or no CO2/dosing will be difficult, but have seen folks like Hara pull it off in similarly sized tanks with similar lighting levels, and she grows many choice species. (The narrow to needle leaved Ludwigias and Rotalas, for example.)

Back
Top Bottom