Is This Anacharis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could someone please tell me what kind of plant this is. I recently bought it at Super Pet, but I don't think they had a name for it. I looked at some websites about plants, and I found that it resembeled the Anacharis the most. Not completely sure though...

Thankyou :)

Attachments

• picture_5475310.jpg
    picture_5475310.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 124
thankyou. it has been growing sooooo fast!! it is now at the top of the water, and starting to bend. will it grow anymore? :)

In my experience, it just keeps going and going. You should just be able to clip it in half and plant the top half in the gravel.

LOL... I was just responding to another post made by PrettyVacant where I suggested Anacharis and now I read here how he added it.... hahaha.
Nice job with the Anacharis!!

I find I am cutting and re-planting my Anacharis about every other week... I only bought 2 bunches knowing I'd eventually be doing this... good thing I read these forums :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Lots of light and keep up with the water-changes (Anacharis sucks a lot of minerals from the water to fuel that explosive growth), and you will soon have multiple 3'-5' long strands of the stuff, and can start trading it or selling it.

You have to be sure to take out the sterns that you have took cuttings of a couple of times. I had anachris, and cutting of new plants from the same 'mother'plant is not too healthy. Also, don't plant it too densly with your lighting setup. Or else you will have the leaves in the lower half of the tank deteriorating soon. I've been there in my 29 gal with the exact same light :p
I used this plant when I first set up the tank, but removed most of it once I got cyano :roll: (One of the 'causes' of cyano is 0 nitrates, at least that's what I've heard. And anachris does take care of all the nitrates. That and duckweed...)

How fast

How fast does anacharis growth, in case of tap water use with some messy fishes?
Thanks

I keep a bunch of Anacharis clipped to the back of my tank using a veggie clip. Then every week or two I trim the bottoms to keep the length in check. Some of the plants grew nearly 10" inches in the last week. Anacharis and Primrose seem to grow like crazy when the conditions are right.

Back
Top Bottom