Is this BBA??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGeeze

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really hope it isn't, but yesterday I noticed this dark fungus looking algae on my plants closest to the light. I normally have algae there, but this looks different. I tried to take some pics below but it's hard to get a close up shot of it.

Attachments

• image-597646950.jpg
    image-597646950.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3388097584.jpg
    image-3388097584.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 84
  • image-725123876.jpg
    image-725123876.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 81
I've read this stuff is pretty hard to tackle. Can somebody help me get to the root of the problem, as to why it's occurring? I have a 46 gallon with a dual T5HO light I have been running for about a month now. I run the lights 8 hours a day with 1 bulb on, and for 3 hours mid day i have the 2nd come on. Since I don't use CO2, I thought it was better to not run both for the full 8 hours. For the last month I have been dosing flourish comprehensive once a week, as per the directions. I normally have algae but that's no problem cuz the snails love it. This is a first I'm seeing this different type of algae. I have a sword, water sprite, crypts, and java fern...Is there something I can change to catch this before it gets out of control?

IMO...you have too much light and not enough co2...if you are not using co2, you really need to shut your lights down...you are not getting the right balance in your tank...Try not turning on the 2nd set of lights mid day..just run the 2 for 8 hrs..you could even make it 7 if you would like...just MO...:)

Jscoggins said:
IMO...you have too much light and not enough co2...if you are not using co2, you really need to shut your lights down...you are not getting the right balance in your tank...Try not turning on the 2nd set of lights mid day..just run the 2 for 8 hrs..you could even make it 7 if you would like...just MO...:)

Ok I can do that... What I did this morning was have one bulb on for 8 hours but with a 2 hour break in between of no light, i read that disrupts the algae cycle. I also had the 2nd bulb turn on an hour befor the break and hour after. Should I only run one T5 a day? I can do that if necessary and just have the timers alternate between bulbs each day.

I just tested my nitrate levels and they were close to 40ppm, which is actually higher than I expected them to be considering I did a small water change last night. Could that be a factor in BBA?

Now don't make this to difficult or you will get frustrated and stop...I would just turn on 2 lights (6700k? you never did say) for 7-8 hrs..and if you don't notice a diff. in the algae growth in 3-4 days lower the amount of time you have your lights on by 30 min or an hour and go from there..

Have you ever concedered co2...diy or press.? It really does make a big diff. and makes everything easier..

As for your nitrate being 40 ppm..I don't think that would make a diff. in your bbm..How big was your water change..and just asking what is your ph?:cool:

Every one is having this problem. Depending on your plants i would use one bulb 7 hrs a day. You may be able to remove some alge from your plants by taking them out and spraying them with hydrogenperoxide thst worked for me i have low light plants.

Jscoggins said:
Now don't make this to difficult or you will get frustrated and stop...I would just turn on 2 lights (6700k? you never did say) for 7-8 hrs..and if you don't notice a diff. in the algae growth in 3-4 days lower the amount of time you have your lights on by 30 min or an hour and go from there..

Have you ever concedered co2...diy or press.? It really does make a big diff. and makes everything easier..

As for your nitrate being 40 ppm..I don't think that would make a diff. in your bbm..How big was your water change..and just asking what is your ph?:cool:

Thats very true, I will get frustrated haha. The bulbs Are 6500 and came with the Catalina fixture.. Which is an awesome fixture btw! Today I only ran one bulb for 7.5 hours.

Before I bought the fixture I was considering using CO2 but I'm not knowledgable on it and being new to the hobby, didn't want to get in over my head. So when I bought the fixture I had separate plugs and switches put on it so I can control each bulb separately. I'm not against using co2, just wanted to learn as much as possible about the basics before venturing into unknown territory.

The water change I did was about 20 % so on the smaller side. I just tested the PH and it's 7.8 which is normal for my tank.

@reefdiver, my only concern with pulling the plants out is that they are heavily rooted in there. I can see me pulling my hair out with that one haha.

So since the last several days I have been running a single t5 for 7.5 hours of light, with a two hour period of no light in between. The BBA definitely has seemed to slow down. I think a couple of my nerites may have helped me with that as well. I also did not add flourish yesterday like i normally do. But, problem I noticed last couple days is my crypts are now starting to slowly develop holes on the leaves and they were doing so well! I guess the slight change in lighting pattern effected them? I cant win!

Back
Top Bottom