is this brown algae on Anubias' leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrek_vn2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have brown stuff on over my Anubias' leaves, on rocks and wood,...
Is it brown algae? I have 29GL tank, 65W light (12 hours), DIY CO2 (2 bottles), I change 3 GL water 1 a week... The moss is beautiful but the but the brown stuff is not. I want to get rid of them but I dont know how... Please help.
Thanks.

algaejn2.jpg

algae2dg3.jpg

Looks like you're dealing with BBA (Black Brush Algae) most likely as a result of the DIY CO2. BBA tends to occur when the CO2 levels fluctuate under 30ppm. With only two bottles of unknown size, I suspect that your CO2 levels aren't getting high enough. For a 29 gallon aquarium you'll want either three 2 Liter bottles or two 3 Liter bottles for your CO2 generation. In addition you'll want to make sure that you're rotating when you change out the mix to help minimize the fluctuations.

To get rid of the existing BBA you'll either need to spot treat it (Flourish Excel squirted directly on the Algae works well) or remove the portions of the plant that are covered with it. Unlike some algae, BBA generally does not go away on its own once the source of the problem is solved it just stops spreading.

Looks like you're dealing with BBA (Black Brush Algae) most likely as a result of the DIY CO2. BBA tends to occur when the CO2 levels fluctuate under 30ppm. With only two bottles of unknown size, I suspect that your CO2 levels aren't getting high enough. For a 29 gallon aquarium you'll want either three 2 Liter bottles or two 3 Liter bottles for your CO2 generation. In addition you'll want to make sure that you're rotating when you change out the mix to help minimize the fluctuations.

To get rid of the existing BBA you'll either need to spot treat it (Flourish Excel squirted directly on the Algae works well) or remove the portions of the plant that are covered with it. Unlike some algae, BBA generally does not go away on its own once the source of the problem is solved it just stops spreading.

Thanks... I have two 2 liter bottles. I conect them by a T connector. I will add 1 more bottle. Should I seperate the bottles or just add another T connector so the air will come out at 1 endpoint?
I'm going the buy Flourish Excel....

Thanks...

I'd probably just T in the extra bottle, that way you don't have to setup a new diffuser for the extra bottle.

Also what diffusion method are you using? It could be that switching to a more efficient diffusion method would help get your CO2 levels higher and more stable as well.

I'd probably just T in the extra bottle, that way you don't have to setup a new diffuser for the extra bottle.

Also what diffusion method are you using? It could be that switching to a more efficient diffusion method would help get your CO2 levels higher and more stable as well.

I just have an airstone as you see in the picture. I see many little bubbles come out. Can you suggest a better diffusion method?...
Oh I just read your blog. Could you tell me how to make "DIY Inline CO2 Reactor powered by a ViaAqua 180 Water Pump". I bought a water pump but never use it....

Thanks.

co2ml4.jpg

Better diffusion methods here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/co2-reactor-72576.html
Venturi Design - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report
Tiny super efficient CO2 reactor - Page 2 - DIY Aquarium Projects - Aquatic Plant Central
DIY internal Reactor, great for Yeast CO2 users! - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report
GWAPA: DIY Inline CO2 Reactor

That covers most of the options some are similar but slightly different. A basic one is to run the outlet/air stone just below the power filter inlet at let it chop the bubbles and distribute

I based my Inline CO2 Reactor off of the GWAPA article that SpeedEuphoria linked. I used slightly different parts based on the parts that I could obtain in my area and down sizing it to be more appropriate for my size aquariums. With a 29 gallon you probably could just use the original design, though you could down size it slightly if you wanted.

I based my Inline CO2 Reactor off of the GWAPA article that SpeedEuphoria linked. I used slightly different parts based on the parts that I could obtain in my area and down sizing it to be more appropriate for my size aquariums. With a 29 gallon you probably could just use the original design, though you could down size it slightly if you wanted.

I finally got rio 180 powerhead and just set up a reactor like this Venturi Design - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

I will wait and see if it works... :)
I also use Excel overdose and algae became pick and then die. I just clean the tank, put the eco-complete substrate but it is very dusty.... Should I put a gravel on the top of the eco?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom