Is this completely true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
"Carbon only lasts 7 days, and isn't necessary or desirable in the planted tank
do NOT run carbon/charcoal in your filter. It will strip out certain trace nutrients in the water...nutrients the plants need. In a densley planted tank, the plants are a big part of your filtration system. Plus, carbon only lasts 7 days, and it's primary purpose is removing medications, and odors from the water. A properly maintained planted tank will have a slight 'earthy' smell. If the tank stinks like fish, you're not keeping up on water changes and/or may be over-stocked. "

This is true? So I can run my filters without carbon? My tank is heavily planted. I don't know if I want an "earthy smell" in my living room though...lol

"Carbon only lasts 7 days, and isn't necessary or desirable in the planted tank
do NOT run carbon/charcoal in your filter. It will strip out certain trace nutrients in the water...nutrients the plants need. In a densley planted tank, the plants are a big part of your filtration system. Plus, carbon only lasts 7 days, and it's primary purpose is removing medications, and odors from the water. A properly maintained planted tank will have a slight 'earthy' smell. If the tank stinks like fish, you're not keeping up on water changes and/or may be over-stocked. "

This is true? So I can run my filters without carbon? My tank is heavily planted. I don't know if I want an "earthy smell" in my living room though...lol

I haven't ran carbon in my filters for almost a year now in my 75 gallon planted with no problems. A guy I work with has a 150 gallon cichlid tank and he doesn't run carbon either. So I would safe it's a safe bet is all carbon did for me was create more maintenance.

Yup completely unnecessary. The earthy smell would only be noticed if you were literally hanging over the tank and your nose within a few inches of the water. If you smell the tank being within a few feet then you have an issue with water quality. For a planted tank all you need is mechanical and biological filtration. Polyfill or filter floss also goes a long way in polishing the water.

1st - Carbon lasting only 7 days: This entirely depends on the quality of the carbon and the amount of things it needs to absorb.

2nd - It's not necessary unless you need to remove medications.

3rd - As for it removing nutrients for plants I am not sure. I have seen this debated a few times and am not positive either way. I believe Aqua Chem will need to answer this one.

4th - Carbon isn't a source of filtration at all. Its there to remove smells and coloration in the water. Purigen is an excellent alternative for this, especially if you have driftwood.

5th - The "earthy" smell isn't an unpleasant smell at all imho. Plus it isn't an overpowering smell either.

Reactions: HN1
Well I am thinking about getting an AQ110 to take out my Marineland 350. I already have an AQ70. Would I just leave out the carbon bag that comes with it?

Activated carbon works to remove organics in the water, i.e. nitragon and phosphate, as well as some inorganics, such as fuels, meds, etc. Some things like tannins, which are from an organic source, will be removed as well, so it will also help with water clarity. As was stated above, how long the carbon lasts is totally depending on the type of carbon and how much stuff you are asking it to absorb.

Is it necessary in a planted tank? No, but you may want to run it at some point for one of the purposes mentioned above.

Activated carbon works to remove organics in the water, i.e. nitragon and phosphate, as well as some inorganics, such as fuels, meds, etc. Some things like tannins, which are from an organic source, will be removed as well, so it will also help with water clarity. As was stated above, how long the carbon lasts is totally depending on the type of carbon and how much stuff you are asking it to absorb.

Is it necessary in a planted tank? No, but you may want to run it at some point for one of the purposes mentioned above.
Wy, would it remove the potassium fert? I mean it almost sounds to me like you really don't even need it unless you want to remove meds. Could I just use the bio max, filter pad and maybe an ammonia bag?

There is no reason to run it if you keep a good WC schedule. ALL chemical filtration is unnecessary, all you need is sponges, bio media, and polyfill for polishing. that's it!!!

It's basically what your pillow is filled with lol. You can get it at craft stores and your lfs
Next silly question....HOW do you use it? Sorry...I have had tanks for a long time and some of this stuff I am just hearing about. Like purigen. Always a learning process.

Next silly question....HOW do you use it? Sorry...I have had tanks for a long time and some of this stuff I am just hearing about. Like purigen. Always a learning process.

Put it on the last stage of canister or hob filter.

...would it remove the potassium fert?

Activated carbon isn't going to remove any of the 'single atom' elements in a tank, eg, K, NO3, PO4, etc, because they're all relatively small molecules and are charged. Essentially, things that will stick to carbon are things that are more attracted to carbon than they are to water, and charged things generally really like to stay in water. Now, there has been significant debate about whether or not chelated metals, eg iron, stick to activated carbon, but I've seen no real convincing evidence either way.

The part about only really being activated for a week is probably true (if that even), so it's not really a concern unless you're replacing your AC frequently, so it's largely an academic question.

Back
Top Bottom