Is this COTOO much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I was trying to be cute in the title. Anyway, I think it is around 1-2 bubbles a second but the bubble counter/diffuser isn't the easiest thing to count I'm finding out.

So, here is it in my YouTube video. NOTE: I am so NOT a camera man, watch at your own risk! :)

YouTube - CO2 in a planted Tank

So, is it overkill to have the diffuser going right into the powerhead which pushes the bubbles under the canister output? The bubbles go almost all the way across the tank before floating to the top.

What you are doing is referred to as CO2 Misting. It is a really great way to diffuse CO2 into your tank. 1 of the large benefits is tiny CO2 bubbles will come into contact with, and get stuck under, your plant leaves, allowing for direct absorption. The major drawback is water clarity - all the millions of bubbles get stuck in the water column, and well you know the rest since you are doing it. If you can live with that, then it is a great way to go.

I used it for awhile on my tank with great success. However, the desire for clearer water ultimately lead me to switch back to just a straight glass/ceramic diffuser.

Are you using a drop checker at all? That is the easiest way to monitor your CO2 levels in almost real time, or if your buffers arent way off, you can measure the pH and KH of your water, and use a chart to extrapolate your CO2 concentration. While it is somewhat difficult to overdose CO2, it is possible, especially with a pressurized system. You will just want to find the bubble count in your system that keeps your co2 between 30-50ppm and that will be a good compromise between fish and plant health.

Right now I was using the KH-PH and a chart method. I will get a drop checker as well but wanted to wait until I had it up and running... I've had a lot of problems getting the CO2 going.

Back
Top Bottom