Is this DHG planted thin enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
Everyone is always talking about separating their DHG to get a carpet as fast as possible. "A 1-inch grid of 1-2 strands of plants is optimal" to quote some plant guru of some sort.

Well I tried, and pulled up a clump of DHG I had and divided it into each strand of runners and planted them (1 hour of work). I decided not to seperate the rest of my clumps because one separated clump filled up my space very quickly.

Here is a picture:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That is definitely ok. If you planted it thinner it might fill in slightly faster, but I don't feel like it would make a world of difference. I'd just leave it like you planted it and it will fill in.

When I planted mine, I did only 1 or 2 blades with a little root for each plantlet. It took forever to plant, though... lol

Thanks guys. I can't wait til these guys grow in. Then I'll feel safe getting some cories.

Just my experience - the hairgrass (I had e. parvula) did nothing for about 2-3 months. Then, it just exploded and grew like mad everywhere.

Well I got it and it was all dead and brownish. And in a week every clump i had was putting out runners. You can still see some of the old brown leaves in the middle of the larger dhg clumps. I'm assuming it was grown immersed.

Back
Top Bottom