Is This Diatom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yumar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm having this problem since I moved three months ago .. I wonder if this is diatoms or other algae.this type of algae is all over the wall of my aquarium, plants and subtrate, my Ludwigia it is covered of the algae, i bought some nerite snail and they are hlping but everytime i do a water change i have a algae bloom
29 gallon tank
finnex ray 2 on 4:00pm-10:0pm
im dosing flourish comprehensive, api leaf zone and excel

Attachments

• IMG_20140702_191757.jpg
    IMG_20140702_191757.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20140702_191726.jpg
    IMG_20140702_191726.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20140702_191804.jpg
    IMG_20140702_191804.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 93
That does indeed look like diatoms which could mean a silica supply in your tap water if they haven't resolved in 3 months.

I would first point at your choice of fertilizers. While the leaf zone does have potassium in it to make up for the deficiencies of the flourish it still isn't enough for your light level imho. I would take a look at doing dry ferts instead which would probably help with keeping the levels down.

I can't get nerites to eat diatoms very quickly but now that I have Otocinclus I never see diatoms anymore. They're a little delicate but mine from a good LFS, drip acclimated, in a mature tank (a month past cycling and adding other fish) are happy. They clear huge patches overnight.

Before adding any more nutrients and potentially making the problem worse, how much and how often are you adding of what you've listed currently? Is the tank anywhere near natural light?

I'd say 3-6mL of Excel per day, 3-6mL of Flourish twice a week, and whatever the recommended dosage is for Leaf Zone.

You can also consider cutting your light cycle into two segments:
2pm-5pm, 7pm-10pm.

That's helped immensely with any unwanted growth in my tank.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm dosing 5ml excel per day , 1 per week flourish and 2 per week leaf zone, I want to try pps-pro but I think they don't ship to my country, the tank get a little of Sun light in the morning.

Sent from my 801EM using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't get nerites to eat diatoms very quickly but now that I have Otocinclus I never see diatoms anymore. They're a little delicate but mine from a good LFS, drip acclimated, in a mature tank (a month past cycling and adding other fish) are happy. They clear huge patches overnight.

I would like to buy otos but the only pet shop near me who sells them is a chain store and the fish looks sick there.

I'm dosing 5ml excel per day , 1 per week flourish and 2 per week leaf zone, I want to try pps-pro but I think they don't ship to my country, the tank get a little of Sun light in the morning.

The only thing that generally cant be shipped to other countries in the fertilizer packs is the potassium nitrate as it can be made into explosives. However, all the rest are benign and should pass through customs with no issues. Try Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home

I would like to buy otos but the only pet shop near me who sells them is a chain store and the fish looks sick there.

They are nice, but fragile. I would only buy them if a store had them in stock for a month or more to make sure they survived the collection process.

Before adding any more nutrients and potentially making the problem worse, how much and how often are you adding of what you've listed currently? Is the tank anywhere near natural light?

I'd say 3-6mL of Excel per day, 3-6mL of Flourish twice a week, and whatever the recommended dosage is for Leaf Zone.

You can also consider cutting your light cycle into two segments:
2pm-5pm, 7pm-10pm.

That's helped immensely with any unwanted growth in my tank.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Algae generally only grows on plants that aren't growing and unhealthy leaves. Diatoms also don't necessarily need nutrients in the aquarium but thrive on an excess of silica in the water. Whether you fertilize or not if you have silica in your source water you will get diatoms.

Algae generally only grows on plants that aren't growing and unhealthy leaves. Diatoms also don't necessarily need nutrients in the aquarium but thrive on an excess of silica in the water. Whether you fertilize or not if you have silica in your source water you will get diatoms.

So you're telling me that I will have this problem for ever :(

So you're telling me that I will have this problem for ever :(

Possibly but there are no guarantees. It might just be a seasonal thing with your water which isn't uncommon.

I have also heard that certain rocks or gravel can leach silicates into the water, so that could be it. It isn't a big deal as long as you have Otos really. I only have one in my 20 gallon but I never EVER see diatoms anymore, just GSA.

I have also heard that certain rocks or gravel can leach silicates into the water, so that could be it. It isn't a big deal as long as you have Otos really. I only have one in my 20 gallon but I never EVER see diatoms anymore, just GSA.
I had a silica based sand in my cichlid tank that fueled a continuous diatom bloom. However I ended up getting used to it after a while. It dropped bothering me eventually.

I'll go to p.smart and buy some otos. If they don't make it will buy more nerite snails thank you guys

Back
Top Bottom