Is this light ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People seem to like these for cheap leds.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016P96UA8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1446062621&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=48"+beamswork+led&dpPl=1&dpID=51V6-e07r5L&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016P96UA8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1446062621&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=48"+beamswork+led&dpPl=1&dpID=51V6-e07r5L&ref=plSrch

the beamswork looks like a better light and I have heard a lot of people use them. 37$ for a 48" LED light scares me...a lot. However I paid 2500$ to light my Reef tank with LED's and personally didnt like it much. Also the 6500k is a better spectrum then the 8000k.

What plants can this level of lighting grow in a 55 gallon? Not looking for anything crazy but just a general idea of the level of lighting.

Whoops, that's a different fixture, but it's probably the one you meant to recommend in the first place. ;) Identical diodes, but fewer. 54 diodes vs. 160 diodes in the one in the amazon link- huge difference.

Well it's a 55 gallon so I hope he meant to recommend the 48 inch one! In any case, it looks like it should be more than enough for what I want to do. My plant growing skills are not up to par with my fishkeeping skills so I intend to stick with plants that need low light and are hard to kill!

It will do swords and crypts just fine

Well it's a 55 gallon so I hope he meant to recommend the 48 inch one! In any case, it looks like it should be more than enough for what I want to do. My plant growing skills are not up to par with my fishkeeping skills so I intend to stick with plants that need low light and are hard to kill!
Ah right, I didn't notice the different lengths. Sorry if this is getting confusing. I hope you haven't ordered the one in the amazon link already, it would be far too much light for low-tech. There is another 48" fixture with fewer diodes, similar to the 30" one in the link above but longer, which would be suitable. Go to the aquatraders.com site and browse around, I'm sure you find it. It's the "razor" series, 6500K.

Ah right, I didn't notice the different lengths. Sorry if this is getting confusing. I hope you haven't ordered the one in the amazon link already, it would be far too much light for low-tech. There is another 48" fixture with fewer diodes, similar to the 30" one in the link above but longer, which would be suitable. Go to the aquatraders.com site and browse around, I'm sure you find it. It's the "razor" series, 6500K.

You're definitely a little late, considering it arrived in the mail today :lol: It actually has a light mode that only uses half the lights, so there's always that. In any case I may just go higher light plants. As long as I don't have light levels that require pressurized CO2. I can use flourish excel and liquid ferts and root tabs.

It will do swords and crypts just fine

It's a different series with more diodes. The "pent" series with rows of 5 diodes is usually considered verging on high-light. If I had to guess it's probably around 50 to 60 PAR at 18".

You're definitely a little late, considering it arrived in the mail today :lol: It actually has a light mode that only uses half the lights, so there's always that. In any case I may just go higher light plants. As long as I don't have light levels that require pressurized CO2. I can use flourish excel and liquid ferts and root tabs.
Running half (80) of the diodes is worth a shot. It might be on the low side of what will grow plants, but hopefully it will be sufficient. Running all 160 diodes will most likely be overkill without co2. I don't know the PAR ratings, so it's hard to say if you could get away with just excel or if you'd need to go with pressurized co2.

Is it really that strong? I definitely can't do CO2. I love plants but I've got too much tank maintenance as it is.

Is it really that strong? I definitely can't do CO2. I love plants but I've got too much tank maintenance as it is.
Yes. Not super high-light, but should be more like the high end of medium light. I think Brookster probably meant to link this model instead. It has only 96 instead of 160 diodes:
LED Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Bright

The model you purchased doesn't seem to be listed on the beamswork site, but I noticed on amazon it says "2 Modes: All on / 46x only". Are you sure that half of them are on in the 2nd switch position, or only 46?

It's 48, not 46. I guess now it just comes down to if I can get away with using excel instead of CO2.

Asked around, it was suggested the par for this light is around 40 at the bottom so I shouldn't need CO2. Thanks for all your help! I do really like this light!

I dunno if you can tell but the bacopa has grown a ton since I got this light. Thanks for the recommendation brookster!

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1447713681203.jpg
    1447713681203.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom