Is this light OK for a low/med plant 5.5g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankinWithUs

Aquarium Advice Freak
The Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, Cliplight by Finnex

Amazon.com : Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, Cliplight : Pet Supplies

I have a low-tech tank. It's probably 8 - 10" deep. I don't want to deal with CO2 so I don't want too much light, but I want enough for my plants to thrive.

I just ordered a glass top to keep my little guy out of it (it is in his room), and now need a clip on light to go above it.

I also don't want to break the bank or my husband is going to leave my butt. :)

Should be "ok" if you keep raised up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Stop it:p I said "ok"... that's a fair amount of light. Do you have a link to the build thread?

Fair too much, or fair too little? Don't be expecting to be impressed. Here's the link: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...d-5-5g-from-gravel-to-ecocomplete-331130.html

We're still just working on finishing the cycle. It's a tank for my 2.5yo son. It was just supposed to be fake stuff and a random fish. Now it's plants, a substrate switch out and all this other crap you guys have sucked me into making sure I get (okokok I want, I want). I'm stopping at liquid ferts and a decent light! You will not get CO2 outta me! ;)

I also refuse to get rid of the fake soccerball in the tank. He loves that thing.

Haha.. no comment on the soccer ball;) you seem to have a good handle on the dosing. I have a 16" planted plus about 12" from the substrate and it's just right for med/high light. The clip on should be sufficient for low/med. Good thing is you can adjust as needed. Go for it!

Finnex also makes a StingRay clip-on.. not sure how it compares to the planted+ clip-on, but might be better suited for low-tech. Brookster?? What say you?

I'd say it really depends on what your goals with this tank are. If you're only seeking to plant basic, low maintenance plants like crypts, java fern, anubias, etc then I might go with a lower strength light. But if you'd like a little more flexibility in terms of plants then the planted+ clip on would be a great option, although a daily liquid carbon supplement such as Flourish Excel or glutaraldehyde will likely become necessary. With that said I'd probably just go with the planted+... Once you're hit by the planted tank bug you'll be happy you did so, and if you have any questions regarding ferts and liquid carbon supplementation just keep asking away! As already mentioned I'd begin by keeping the light raised as high as possible though, and a timer with a photoperiod starting around 6-7 hours would be a good start too.

Stingray it cool, I'd do the planted plus clip on though.. kids dig separate moonlights!

I got the planted+. I'm excited about it. I already dose Excel. I have on hand:

Seachem:
Prime
Flourish
Flourish Excel
Flourish Iron
Flourish Potassium

All through reading this and watching low-tech plant people on YouTube. Ha! Thanks y'all. We just switched out the substrate and it's a bit cloudy. Once it settles, I'll put before and after pictures (featuring the soccer ball, of course).

Back
Top Bottom