Is this lighting ok to grow plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a T8, 10,000K 120V 15W bulb in my 45 gallon pentagon tank! So far I only have 2 anubias plants in my tank! The tank has only been up and running since the 1st, so the plant still looks great... Is there other plants I can grow with this bulb?

Unfortunately, that's probably not enough light to grow plants. I had a 30g hex with 2x 15w bulbs that did ok with java ferns and crypts. I just don't see 15w over a 45g as being enough.

Unfortunately not. Fluorescent bulbs are generally one wattage per length. The only exception I know is you can get 48" T8 bulbs in 32W and 40W varieties.

How deep is your tank? If it's a fairly shallow tank, you might be able to grow a few plants directly under the lighting. Otherwise, you can raise them up a bit. I did this with java ferns on driftwood with good results. Otherwise, stick to the anubias varieties.

Your Lighting Question

I have a T8, 10,000K 120V 15W bulb in my 45 gallon pentagon tank! So far I only have 2 anubias plants in my tank! The tank has only been up and running since the 1st, so the plant still looks great... Is there other plants I can grow with this bulb?

Hello Mom...

Since you have the bulb, try it. Ideally, you want a 6500 K bulb. The light blue color of this kind of light comes closest to natural daylight which is 5500 K. Anubias doesn't require much light, so the bulb you have may be fine. Other plants that aren't light demanding are the ferns like Java, the mosses like "Singapore". There aren't very many, but you can also float some stem plants close to the light and they'll grow well. I like Water sprite, Water wisteria and Pennywort.

B

Back
Top Bottom