Is this medium/ medium high / high light for a 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering CF puts out more light then a T-12, the standard for WPG rules, you are around 3 WPG of light with that fixture. I would say medium high.

Is there a sticky somewhere on this site that explains the differences between the lights ?
Sorry for the ignorance -- my first venture with "non-standard" lights (lights that are not coming with the tank)

a

If you can find the lux rating a the particular bulb, you can calculate the lumens per square inch. If you want to get a bit anal about it. And yes, I did. lol Oh, just multiply lux by 10.6 to get lumens. :? Or am I misremembering the conversion??

I have that fixture on my 55 gal. I just wanted to point out that it normally ships with 50/50 bulbs, which only effectively gives you half the light as far as plants are concerned. If you want to get better light for plants you need to replace them with full daylight bulbs.

majolo said:
I have that fixture on my 55 gal. I just wanted to point out that it normally ships with 50/50 bulbs, which only effectively gives you half the light as far as plants are concerned. If you want to get better light for plants you need to replace them with full daylight bulbs.
wonderful -- I am confused again now :p

Is there a good site explaining the basics of aquarium lighting ?

Apart from a WPG calculation, actual or theoretical. That light will behave like medium light on a 55g show. That particular tank is deep and narrow. So from the perspective of lighting its depth and length are more like that of a standard 75g tank.

With that light at 10 hours per day, you can easily do non-CO2 methods. With a longer photperiod perhaps CO2 would be needed. It is a good starter light. You can grow nearly any plant, and choose to go from lowtech to hightech as experience grows.

EDIT: FWIW I use that exact light, and the Satellite 4x 65w on my 72G. I used to only use the 4x65w on my old 55G.

swanandmokashi said:
majolo said:
wonderful -- I am confused again now :p

Is there a good site explaining the basics of aquarium lighting ?

Well, I haven't found any great sites explaining lighting (aside from some articles and stickies here). Just to clarify my post:

The 50/50 bulbs are half actinic. Actinic bulbs are a strong bluish color, and they are important (I gather) in reef tanks, but the spectrum they put out does not contribute significantly to plant growth. Anyway, the bottom line is that you probably want to pick up a set of bulbs like the SunPaq dual daylight with the fixture. I have those in the same fixture on the same size tank. I don't run CO2, and it seems to be doing fine (I probably could be fertilizing better, but anyway I get plants to grow and have zero algae problems). Hope this helps :)

I agree you will need dual daylight or 10000K bulbs for that fixture. Plants cannot utilize the light from the actinic part of the 50/50 bulbs. You could either buy that light and buy 2 new bulbs, or you could buy the Coralife Freshwater Aqualight. It's the same as the regular Aqualight only it comes with 2 dual daylight bulbs already instead of the 50/50s- you just have to buy the one that says FW Aqualight. This is a good price: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1
I couldn't get your link to work for me, but the Satellite is $30 more than the Aqualight at Drs. Foster Smith.

majolo said:

The marineandreef website says
"The Current Satellite Singles come with SmartPaq Lamps (10,000K/460nm Actinics)." -- what does this mean ?

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_satellite.html

It means that the Current light comes with 2 50/50 bulbs. Half of each bulb is 10000K and half is actinic. Your plants can't utilize the actinic light, so that is why it was recommended that you either replace both the bulbs with dual daylight bulbs, or buy the Coralife FW Aqualight instead. The FW Aqualight is the same wattage (2x65) but comes with the bulbs that you need, so you won't have to buy new ones right off the bat. Does that make sense?

Check the link I posted above if you like the Aqualight. It's a good price, and you can use the bulbs that are included. The Aqualight doesn't come with built in moonlights, but to be honest I have the 24" Current Satellite, and the moonlight is pretty dim IMO. It's cool, but just not that bright. If you really want the moonlights, you can buy them for the Aqualight as an accessory. They mount onto the Aqualight's track, or you can use the universal mount. I got 2 3/4 watt moonlights for my Aqualight and they are much brighter than the ones built into the Satellite. HTH.

severum mama said:
It means that the Current light comes with 2 50/50 bulbs. Half of each bulb is 10000K and half is actinic. Your plants can't utilize the actinic light, so that is why it was recommended that you either replace both the bulbs with dual daylight bulbs, or buy the Coralife FW Aqualight instead. The FW Aqualight is the same wattage (2x65) but comes with the bulbs that you need, so you won't have to buy new ones right off the bat. Does that make sense?

Check the link I posted above if you like the Aqualight. It's a good price, and you can use the bulbs that are included. The Aqualight doesn't come with built in moonlights, but to be honest I have the 24" Current Satellite, and the moonlight is pretty dim IMO. It's cool, but just not that bright. If you really want the moonlights, you can buy them for the Aqualight as an accessory. They mount onto the Aqualight's track, or you can use the universal mount. I got 2 3/4 watt moonlights for my Aqualight and they are much brighter than the ones built into the Satellite. HTH.

I just bought the Aqualight from Drs. F and S -- THANKS so much for everybody's help -- glad I didn;t buy the Current fixture

You'll like the Aqualight I think. The Current fixture is a good light as well, I haven't had any problems with mine, but as you know those replacement bulbs don't come that cheap.

Back
Top Bottom