Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessiNoel21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought Fluval shrimp and plant substrate and this after I rinsed like they said. Please tell me this well clear up lol. This the one I bought ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420935586.922348.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420935597.673764.jpg

5 gallon Betta Tank
3 gallon RCS Tank
1 gallon Betta Tank
In process 20L reef

It'll be fine. I just put a foam piece over my intake. Run the filter. You need to be gentle with some of those substrates.

Run the filter, do some water changes. It will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I can put my frogs,shrimp, and guppies in it after I am done filling it up?

5 gallon Betta Tank
3 gallon RCS Tank
1 gallon Betta Tank
In process 20L reef

I wouldn't add them until you have it a lot clearer. It may take you a day or two to get it clear. It can be a little hazy. Just test the water before they go in also.

If your animals are sitting in a bucket and you need to put them in as long as the water test fine then it should be okay. Water can clear up pretty fast. But I would try for a lot clearer than that.

I would guess in a couple hours there should even be a huge difference. When I changed one of mine from sand to gravel I rinsed a lot but it was a tiny bit cloudy but after about an hour it was almost perfectly clear again

Yes they are in a bucket have been since 2 pm with a air stone and heater

5 gallon Betta Tank
3 gallon RCS Tank
1 gallon Betta Tank
In process 20L reef

I use the same substrate in my tanks. I rinsed well then put fresh filter floss in my filter. Cleared it up in an hour. Then threw away the white filter floss (which had turned completely black) and put in fresh floss. I hope you've saved the bacteria from your filter though or else your fish will suffer from cycling the tank again.

I also learned that if you add a thin layer of sand to "cap" the substrate, it won't ever be murky.

Good luck!

I have the sponge filter in the tank to with a whisper 10i I rinsed the floss twice so far here it is ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420945784.980451.jpg

5 gallon Betta Tank
3 gallon RCS Tank
1 gallon Betta Tank
In process 20L reef

Here it is today ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421023134.879137.jpg

5 gallon planted(1m/2f guppy and 2 ADFs)
10 gallon planted divided Betta(1 male and 1 female)

Yeah 8 rinses of the floss later lol

5 gallon planted(1m/2f guppy and 2 ADFs)
10 gallon planted divided Betta(1 male and 1 female)

Back
Top Bottom