Is this pearling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you using CO2 (either DIY-yeast or pressurized) in your tank? Do you use Excel? I don't have this plant, so I can't give you a sure answer. But my first impression is no, they are not pearling. The bubbles are too big. By any chance did you do a water change before this picture was taken? Water changes sometimes create "false pearling" as the turbulence of the newly-added water can oxygenate the tank enough to create "false pearls" for a few hours.

Did you recently plant the foxtail in your tank? I've seen foxtail/parrot's feather (both types of Myriophyllum) do this when first placed in a tank after some exposure to air. It will generally stop after a day or two but looks quite nice.

yes they are recently planted and also noticed it was happening on only 1 or 2 of them today. Also are foxtail and parrot's feather the same thing? They close up at night which I think is they neatest thing I have seen in an aquarium.

Angel.Zero said:
Also are foxtail and parrot's feather the same thing? They close up at night which I think is they neatest thing I have seen in an aquarium.

What you've got in the picture appears to be Myriophyllum aquaticum, commonly called foxtail or parrot's feather. Like many fine-leaved stem plants the tips will close up at night. Once it gets used to your light cycle it will begin closing at a set time every night. It will even close at that time if you leave your lights on. Very interesting :)

Back
Top Bottom