Is this plant meant to be red?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie

Aquarium Advice Activist
This plant was small and green when I bought it and I didn't know it would turn red, is this normal?

Attachments

• image-1775348830.jpg
    image-1775348830.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 142
Most likely. A lot of red plants will turn green when lighting and ferts aren't sufficient.

I have no idea! Haha it has small leaves when I bought it but they have become longer and thinner.

The roots are coming out from the middle of the plant, can I trim that and stick it back into the ground?

Most likely. A lot of red plants will turn green when lighting and ferts aren't sufficient.

You can do a number of things.
1. Trim the roots off
2. Trim the top off and plant it keeping the base giving you 2 plants
3. Trim the top and discard the base
4. Curse at it for growing roots where you don't want it to :)

It looks like Ludwigia Peruensis(aka. Glandulosa). Picture is not very close so hard to tell. The aerial or adventitious roots are very normal on it. You can cut off the most obtrusive ones if you wish with no harm. It gets redder the more light it has, and likes higher phospahtes(2-3ppm) to color it most intensely. OS.

it does look like a ludwigia peruensis. in order to maintain the redness, you would need a good source of light and CO2 injection.

Thanks guys :) I'm sure it gets a good dose of lights, I've got two of those fluval mini lights running but no co2, I don't feel quite ready for that yet!

Oh wow so pretty! I doubt nine would end up like that but its encouraging to know the plants happy :D I might buy a second one if I could find it again!

No point in buying another one, especially when yours is that big. You could easily cut it down and make 3 or 4 new plants out of it :)

Agree with Mebbid, you could cut it and plant the cuttings. No need to buy another one :)
Janis, your glandulosa is stunning! I might have to look into that one for my future "want list of plants". Lol

Agree with Mebbid, you could cut it and plant the cuttings. No need to buy another one :)
Janis, your glandulosa is stunning! I might have to look into that one for my future "want list of plants". Lol

I'm thinking the exact same thing myself :D

Thanks guys! I cut them in half and replanted the new stems covered in roots! They look good so far!

The red color comes from iron. Of course with better lightning and CO2 the plant will take more iron from the substrate and or water turn redder. So if you don't use ferts, your water must be rich on iron. If not it comes from your decomposing fish food.

High phosphates and low nitrates are what colors up plants the best. Iron is important but phosphates are what the plants need to make the chemical change from green to orange/pink/red. I add no extra iron to my tank, keep my nitrates at 10ppm, and run phosphates at 5-10ppm. Also if light isn't intense enough plants won't color up. Under high light plants go through a process that allows them to color up with is actually a protective plant "sunscreen" for them. Adding phosphates greatly aids in that process. Iron helps but is not a deciding factor of plants coloring. You have to have the proper combination of things to achieve good color. Look at the wide range of color in these plants which are only about 6" tall shortly after being planted. Now that they are mature and taller (closer to the light in a 30" deep tank) the colors are even more intense.... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 5-12-13 update/new plants - Picture.

Back
Top Bottom