Issue with planted tank! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So when I went down to move my plants around in my tank (they needed to be spread apart before they rooted) and I noticed I a lot of my plants and the driftwood has a white stringy-like fungus looking thing that is worrying me. I mean it looks like...well I'll post some pics. And I noticed a really tiny snail on the side of the tank...is this associated with the problem? I also noticed a lot of little white dots all over my plants leaves...what's that? Someone said oxygen bubbles but I don't know...anyways can you help? All I have in the tank is a bunch of plants and a guppy...no angelfish yet. It's running a canister filter and I noticed on its output nozzle a lot of hair-like stringy stuff coming out of it like what's covering my plants...it's like an underwater spider! Help?!

More pics!

This is some dwarf baby tears...it's hard to see but it looks strung around each little leaf

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 54
Even more.

Ok here is a section of my driftwood...you can see it growing off the top of it like hair...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 46
Ok so I researched it a bit on my own and a lot of people say this is normal for newly set up planted tanks. It says its not harmful and will go away in a couple of weeks while its cycling. I'm now relieved :)....but what about the little snails? What do I do with them?

I've never gotten anything that looked like that but it appears to be a fungus of some type. I've heard a couple people talk about spot treating it with Excel and that it worked. I'm not speaking from experience but trying it won't hurt. If you can remove the DW I'd take it out and boil it well.

Ok thanks and I took out the driftwood and scrubbed it and i'll boil it. Also, what about the snails? Have you ever gotten snails from plants from aquariumplants.com? I have all of mine from there. Btw, they are growing fast and the colors are great! Thanks for recommending those plants to me!

I've never gotten any but that doesn't mean anything. You can build a DIY snail trap, or get some leaf lettuce and run it under hot water until it gets soft. Put it in the tank and as snails come to it to feed remove and dispose of them. If you never want to get any snails for the tank you can also get a couple assissin snails that will kill and feed on other snails.

Alright thanks, i'll try those! I only have found one little snail...can angelfish eat them since they are about the size of the tip of a pencil right now?

Oh ok then. Also I have this little brine shrimp hatchery I used to use to feed live foods to my fry...I have a large bottle of eggs left so could I feed the angels new born brine shrimp or would the shrimp be too small? I have a grow out tank so they can get at least a quarter of an inc before I feed them to my turtles...

Back
Top Bottom