Issues with a Ludwigia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asbestos

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a Ludwigia Repens about 5 months ago, or at least thats what i think its a Ludwigia Repens i don't really remember. and the base of the plant is slowly getting thinner and its all falling apart. Other than that it seems fine like the leafs seem happy, but its just falling apart at the base. I just have the stock lighting and some API plant food. Is there any way i can stop it from deteriorating at the bottom?

add more light. the problem is they bottom part are not getting the light needed the tops are shading it.

Also how is it planted?

I found that when i did not plant stems directly into gravel but wrapped them wool or had them in pots that the bottoms can sometimes start dieing even if top is thriving.

add more light.

Absolutely. When stems rot from the bottom up and loose leaves, it is because you do not have intensive enough light. The general rule of thumb is 2 or more watts of flourescent light per gallon of water. One bulb is not enough.

Perhaps this will help:

Choosing your lighting

Its potted, but i will try to get some more light in there from another angle or something. Has any one ever used just regular plant bulbs? like the kind that are for indoor plants.

The type, brand, color of the light doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is how bright the light is, and 17 watts is not bright enough even if it is flourescent. Flourescents are 5 times brighter per watt than an incadescent, you need 65 watts minimum of flourescent light, or the same amount of light from incandescent would be 325 watts.

Read the link :)

Not sure i totally agree here Robert. The colour of light does matter as leaning towards the yellow spectrum ( 5-8K ) calvin of light is generally better in aiding photosynthesis for plants.

So aim for a 6700K bulb at minimum of 2wpg.

I have 3.5 wpg but still getting the issues with red stem plants. I find the main problem is when I trim and replant them they go through a short stack of shock and shed a few leaves and the odd stem might start to rot a little. After this phase they start to grow fantastically.

Always seems to happen after I repot them and its not a light/fert/co2 issu as i have 3.5wpg with EI dosing and 30ppm co2.

Back
Top Bottom