I've got a few questions...(plant algae/Blue botia)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and I've got a few questions that I'd like to have some help with.

1. I have several live plants in my tank, but I have some odd looking algae growing on the plant's leaves, but only the older growth leaves so the newer growth leaves haven't had a chance for the aglae to establish. I was wondering if there is a way for me to get rid of it without hurting the plants.

2. I just bought an orange-finned Blue Botia. I also just read that it eats smaller fish, and uproots plants. Is this true? Will this really hurt having this fish in my tank? Will it hurt my Tiger barbs? Just anymore info that what can be found on it at at Loaches.com

Thanks guys

P.S. the algae is more or less a clear color and resembles single strands of hair floating off the leaves of the plants.

fishboy 19....

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!!! :D :D

The odd looking algae growing on your plant leaves may be one of the 'beard' or 'brush' types of red alga. True Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) will help keep the stuff in check but otherwise you're pretty much limited to snipping off the badly infested leaves.

The Blue Botia (Botia modesta) is well-known as one of the more aggressive of the loach clan. Chances are, however, that your Tiger Barbs won't have any problem with it. As for uprooting plants....in my experience the Blue Botia is no worse at uprooting plants than any other bottom-grubbing loach.

I have not a thing to add to Fruitbat's most excellent (as usual) reply, but I wanted to welcome you to AA, fishboy19! :D

Back
Top Bottom