Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
no, no sensitive plants, and i can't remove the fish.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterPond
no, no sensitive plants, and i can't remove the fish.
well i am 90% sure you will be alright, but after my last battle with BBA i am gun shy...so the choice is yours

Old 10-28-2006, 07:51 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, well, i'me going to do it right now then. I will just shake my plants out ofter i dip them.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ok, well, i'me going to do it right now then. I will just shake my plants out ofter i dip them.
good luck and keep me informed as to your results
Old 10-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

i did it, no immediate results of cousre, i will keep you posted.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, so i woke up this morning and my l. repens rubin turned light grey in colour, my favorite plant too.

hygro polysperma is not looking good either, alot of the green has gone from it and it is kinsof greyish looking too.

My lilacina has lots its pink colouration too, it has blotches of green all over it now.

My moss and anubias are the only things that looks the same.

The water is REALLY cloudy this morning too. co2 readings are still around 30ppm so that is good.

All the other params are good too, the same as they were lat week when i fist posted this thread(see top of page for params)

I dipped the plants then shook them let them site out of water for a few minutes to drip the rest off then placed them back. Anything else i should have done?

I'm freekin out

Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

A pure Excel dip can burn a lot of plants. If you left them "dipping" for more than a few seconds (15-30 maybe?), then some of the plants tissues may be damaged. If they do not die outright, then they should spring back. The algae is certainly dead though.

I use Excel dipping mostly for wood/rocks. For BBA on plants, one highly recomended method is to use an eyedropper to squirt Excel directly on the algae, in the tank. You turn off all circulation, and do not use more than twice the recomended dosage at one time. This can be repeated every 2-3 days.
Once the algae is dead, dose the Excel at the recomended doseage every 2-3 days. This will keep algae at bay until your CO2/Fert balance issues are sorted out. Or, you can just always dose it as a safety net against algae. To be clear, Excel is not an algae killer, it is a Carbon supplement. It's algae fighting properties are a bonus.

I know this infor comes a bit late, as you have already dipped. HTH for next time though.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh well, all of my lower light plants and mosses are still ok. I hope the rest spring back though. Thanks for your help, and i will definetley use that meathod next time.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:30 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

This morning one of my amano shrimp died, water was barely see through. I dicided to move the fish out for a while. The water was pure white. I miss my shrimpy

well, came home from school today, alot of the plants had turned to mush and smelled very bad. ALot of them covered the bottom of the tank.

Here is my plant death toll(i hope they come back, they have been moved to sa seperate tank for a bit.
-lilacina
-crypts(3 kinds)
-java fern
-java moss(all of it )
-bacopa of some sort
-five small amazon swords
I beleive that is it.

Here are th survivors
- three stems of moneywort
-glosso(thank god it had no algea on it)
-anubias nana
-2 types of hydrocotyle
-and a small crypt of some sort

So far i have lost only one shrimp(amano, my favorite)
My dwarf pufferfish is ok and so are my otos.

NitrAte went WAY UP, I beleive it was at 80ppm

NitrIte-0ppm

Hardness-(usually is about 25-50ppm) it went up to 300ppm

KH-180ppm

pH- 7.5

So, my tank is looking rather empty. The fish are safely in my 10gal(the DP is in a breeder net) I am thinking i will buy a divider so he can have some more swimming space while i get this straightened out.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This morning one of my amano shrimp died, water was barely see through. I dicided to move the fish out for a while. The water was pure white. I miss my shrimpy

well, came home from school today, alot of the plants had turned to mush and smelled very bad. ALot of them covered the bottom of the tank.

Here is my plant death toll(i hope they come back, they have been moved to sa seperate tank for a bit.
-lilacina
-crypts(3 kinds)
-java fern
-java moss(all of it )
-bacopa of some sort
-five small amazon swords
I beleive that is it.

Here are th survivors
- three stems of moneywort
-glosso(thank god it had no algea on it)
-anubias nana
-2 types of hydrocotyle
-and a small crypt of some sort

So far i have lost only one shrimp(amano, my favorite)
My dwarf pufferfish is ok and so are my otos.

NitrAte went WAY UP, I beleive it was at 80ppm

NitrIte-0ppm

Hardness-(usually is about 25-50ppm) it went up to 300ppm

KH-180ppm

pH- 7.5

So, my tank is looking rather empty. The fish are safely in my 10gal(the DP is in a breeder net) I am thinking i will buy a divider so he can have some more swimming space while i get this straightened out.
Oh My GOD!!! all that from just a dip

good to see you got the Otos and DP out, sorry about your shrimp...

some of those plants (like the crypts) might bounce back

Tags
eat, excel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com