I've stopped dosing Phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, your setup looks awesome! That's how I want mine to look eventually. :) Just have to get rid of the pesky algae.

Even my snails have algae. :)
img2123.jpg

Setup pics (Don't mind the water spots. I haven't had time to clean the tank really well in a few weeks. This weekend if I have free time, which I doubt, I'm going to clean it up)
img2111.jpg

img2113.jpg

corster said:
How do you have no alge?

I just give it the evil eye :wink:

Seriously...thanks corster and fishyfanatic. It's a combination of reading and studying about plants, algae, ferts, and CO2, sharing info here, and hard work! You should have seen that tank a month after start-up...cyano heaven! Now I'm proud of it.

Anyway, fishyfanatic...your diffuser is similar to mine. It's just CO2 forced through a ceramic stone. The bubbles are very fine that come out. My diffuser is glass, yours is plastic, but the diffusion area is the same type of ceramic disk. I used to have that diffuser, the Red Sea one. It was just too hard for me to open up and clean (yes, I'm a weakling!) You could position the diffuser so that your powerhead grabs the bubbles and shoots them all over the tank.

That's a cute pic of your snails! :)

This past weekend was the first time I cleaned it. Wow, it wasn't pretty inside. Easy to open for me but I had a lot of algae to clean out of it. :) I totally forgot that the top had a dial on it.

I have two powerheads that I bought a few months ago as a "just in case". I'm not exactly sure where to place it to distribute the CO2. On the back side of the tank next to it? I can't really see from the pic.

An t-iasg said:
corster said:
How do you have no alge?

I just give it the evil eye :wink:

Seriously...thanks corster and fishyfanatic. It's a combination of reading and studying about plants, algae, ferts, and CO2, sharing info here, and hard work! You should have seen that tank a month after start-up...cyano heaven! Now I'm proud of it.

Anyway, fishyfanatic...your diffuser is similar to mine. It's just CO2 forced through a ceramic stone. The bubbles are very fine that come out. My diffuser is glass, yours is plastic, but the diffusion area is the same type of ceramic disk. I used to have that diffuser, the Red Sea one. It was just too hard for me to open up and clean (yes, I'm a weakling!) You could position the diffuser so that your powerhead grabs the bubbles and shoots them all over the tank.

That's a cute pic of your snails! :)

Ok... So how do you have no algae? Tell us the secret.

It's finding the balance. I have diatoms, green spot, beard, and blue/green. I'm hoping that once this system equals itself out I won't have these issues. Even An t-iasg had issues to begin with, you just have to work them out. I'm giving the tank a big scrub down this weekend (sans soap and bleach of course). Hopefully I'll have some free time on Sunday to work on the tank during daylight hours.

Simple: focus on growing the plants and you no longer focus on growing/killing the algae.

That's far from any secret, but folks do not follow directions on that issue or are not able for a number of reasons to do that.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back
Top Bottom