Iwagumi or Not - 30g Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am torn between doing an Iwagumi and doing a planted tank with driftwood and stones and making it a more jungle look.

tank size is 24x24x12 what do you guys think would look the best?

That sounds like an awesome tank for a jungle or iwagumi.

This tank's height is great for an iwagumi, but the depth makes it a bit strange. But you could certainly pull something pretty awesome off with enough planning.

"Jungle" (nature) scapes usually need more height, but the depth on this one would be awesome.

It depends what you have for a hardscape. A large, flattish piece of driftwood would work well for a jungle tank, and having part of it rise out of the water that you could put terrestrial plants or moss on would be pretty awesome. Iwagumi tanks usually use rocks, and you could create awesome scale and depth by using small rocks that will look large with this type of tank.

Rastaman has two great tanks like this:
1 Gallon Nano Tank or
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/1-gallon-nano-tank-324374-3.html

and

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/stoned-1g-341226-2.html

Of course, those tanks are very small, but you could still make the scape look huuuuuuge if you did something similar.

So I think it's your preference. Iwagumis are usually harder though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This should give you inspiration. It is the September tank of the month!
September 2015 TOTM: JUNGLEFOWL - Aquarium Advice

thats a cool tank but not really the look i like. I am just so undecided. I love the look of lots of tall plants and drift wood however with the 12" depth of the tank I think I would be better off doing a more micro scape with smaller plants and rocks that make the tank look larger then it really is. I have been looking at pictures online but just dont find anything i really love so I am going to just have to get my own creativity out.

My issue is where do I find these cool rocks that people use? My lfs sells elephant skin rock however it like 5$ a lb. and Id like something more sharp/jagged

I think ohko stone would be good for you.

People get them online. It's pricey.

I just realized... if you rearrange the letters of "ludwigia" it spells "gullible"!

I think ohko stone would be good for you.

People get them online. It's pricey.

I just realized... if you rearrange the letters of "ludwigia" it spells "gullible"!

that is some really good looking stone...50$ for 10lbs is kinda crazy haha. How did freshwater planted stuff become as expensive as saltwater.

Just found a tank that is very similar to the design i am thinking about.http://redcherryshrimp.net/tank-journal/ada-mini-m-iwagumi/#! I just like the flow of this tank. The plants wont be that same and I want am not going to have a flat bottom I want to slope it. I think ill go to my LFS today and see what they have for rocks I have a ton of storecredit there from selling my coral/fish to them and I hope its enough to do my planted tank and my 220g amazon tank. The amazon tank is easy and takes much much less planning. Its just going to be sand and drift wood along with a few big amazon swords if I can find some big enough.

That's a sweet looking tank!

Yeah I think iwagumi stones have always been $$$

If you get enough of a stone you like you ca smash it with a hammer to make it more jagged or make smaller pieces.

Back
Top Bottom