Jarva Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking to get some Jarva Moss for my tank, I was just wondering if it is just as easy as putting it in the tank and that’s it done or do i need to do anything else, I just have gravel on the floor of my tank, Its a 30ltr tank so not the biggest but looking to get a bigger tank in the near future.

I think Java Moss, along with other mosses (i.e. flame, xmas, etc.) are pretty easy and can handle a wide range of conditions such as low-light/low-tech or high-light/high-tech with co2 injection. I actually have some java moss in my high-light tank with co2 thriving. I also have some flame moss doing well in both high-light w/ co2 and in a low-light tank w/out co2. Just dose some liquid ferts on occasion, you should be good to go.

It's also fun and creative to attach the java moss with some string to some driftwood or decor. Just a suggestion :)

Thanks, I wasnt to sure if you needed anything else or you can just put them in the bottom of your tank, i do want to get some in there as it will make my tank look a lot better.

If you want it to cover or be part of substrate you might want to find a few small not smooth pieces of rock and tie the moss on (cotton string in black works great and will rot off on its own). Then sit them on the substrate and give them time to attach and spread. As it gets longer you can sprinkle gravel lightly on chuncks to keep it weighed down and give it time to attach to the substrate if its not too smooth.

Rivercats said:
If you want it to cover or be part of substrate you might want to find a few small not smooth pieces of rock and tie the moss on (cotton string in black works great and will rot off on its own). Then sit them on the substrate and give them time to attach and spread. As it gets longer you can sprinkle gravel lightly on chuncks to keep it weighed down and give it time to attach to the substrate if its not too smooth.

Thanks for that I will have a look in to it and give it ago

I was wondering about rocks and drift wood, if I see some on a beach can I just put them in or it there anything that I need to do to it?

I have used drift wood..but remember..its called drift wood for a reason..it usually floats so tying down will have to be done..you have to boil it to kill any parasites...

I have just used the heavy wood at local fish stores..no parasites..hard as rock and usually sinks readily..

dpeco33 said:
I have used drift wood..but remember..its called drift wood for a reason..it usually floats so tying down will have to be done..you have to boil it to kill any parasites...

I have just used the heavy wood at local fish stores..no parasites..hard as rock and usually sinks readily..

Oh yeah forgot about that, I just thought that they would look the part, didn't think about it floating to the top.

Sometimes after being under water go long time..it does water log and sink..but not as efficiently as a lot if the aquarium woods out there..hope that helps..

dpeco33 said:
Sometimes after being under water go long time..it does water log and sink..but not as efficiently as a lot if the aquarium woods out there..hope that helps..

Yeah that does help thanks

Java moss&subwassertang..
You can't see it but there is Malaysian Driftwood beneath the moss,also due for a trim as well..

ForumRunner_20121010_121315.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121010_120933.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121010_120933.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom